How do you Gift an app?

I’m trying to buy OmniFocus for my friend who is horribly unorganized. I can’t just give him money, I need to push him via buying the app for him to kick start his GTD workflow.

Unfortunately, I can not find a way to actually gift the app. All the web results are from 2012-2013. There is no share sheet for gift on my iphone/ipad (all current OS). I can text the app to someone. I can talk about it, I just can’t pay for it.

Is there no way to do this?

On the app page, click the … icon.

Good luck, but in my experience people don’t get into GTD without decidedly wanting to do it and making a focused effort with it. There are many, many simpler (and free!) apps that can help disorganized people. If your friend doesn’t have the inclination to get his life a bit more in order with Reminders, Microsoft To Do, Google Tasks, or the free tiers of Todoist/TickTick/Trello etc, then offering him a deep and complicated app (to match a deep and complicated workflow that necessitates weekly reviews and parsing tasks into categories) just might be a waste of money.

If you offer to buy your friend the app and he thanks you and says he’ll use it that’s one thing, but you can only lead a horse to water…

This is certainly true.

You can also walk out of a music store with the exact same guitar, amps and gadgets as Carlos Santana, David Gilmour or The Edge uses, but how long does it take before you sound like any of them?

I think the problem that you’ll run into with trying to give OmniFocus as a gift is that the basic app is downloadable for free, but the full “unlock” price is an in-app purchase, and I’m not sure if there is a way to give someone an in-app purchase as a gift.

I don’t have the “Gift App…” option.

I agree, the heavy lifting is all on my friend. I was hoping to push him into taking the first step with a good tool.

1 Like

You can’t gift a Free app. That’s why it is missing. You can only share it.

That makes sense. Thank you everyone for your input.

2 Likes

Ok, I am having the same problem. Gift option is not showing up. Tried it on an app that is not free. Still no gift option. Restarted phone. Nada. Am I missing something?

Just thought ya’ll would like to know I just got off Apple support chat. Did an initial iPhone screen share with a first level advisor. Issue was escalated to a senior advisor who came back and told me it is a known issue and their engineers are currently working on it. Looking at when the OP posted this thread Jan 30, that does not inspire confidence. Now I’m wondering if anyone is seeing this issue besides me. Anyway, I received a case number and I am supposed to be notified by email when issue has been resolved.

Thanks for the update. I find it amazing that it can be this hard to give Apple money.

Ok, for me this gift app issue has been fixed. Just checked it today. I did update to ios 12.4 yesterday. So now I can give Apple more money :joy: How about you @Maggoteye?