How do you hold your 12.9" iPad?

This has been bugging me for months: In the spring, I bought a lovely 12.9" iPad Pro. But lately I find myself more frequently using my 2018 iPad with the smaller ~9.7" display.

Why? Because it’s easier to hold.

I’m somewhat nearsighted, and for comfortable viewing, I like to hold the iPad in one hand, in portrait mode, at about chest level, about elbow-length from my chest. The 12.9" is unwieldy to hold that way for long periods. The 9.7" is comfortable.

Also, the 9.7" is a good size for thumb-typing in portrait mode.

Has anybody found a way to hold the 12.9" comfortably at chest height while sitting on the sofa?

Bonus points for answers received in the next six hours–in time for my next sofa-iPad interval.

Perched on my legs with my feet on the ottoman and knees bent. Add a warm blanket and a cup of tea and it’s a great way to get some reading done.

I will say the 9.7 (which I’ve since given to my daughter) is my favorite iPad I’ve had so far.

1 Like

So you prefer the 9.7" to the 12.9" as well?

1 Like

I had the 11" Pro after the 12.9. I love using split screen and my aging eyes find it hard to focus on smaller text. So when the 2020 ones came out, I sold the 11" Pro and upgraded to the 12.9". The size really is cumbersome. For me the iPad was something I could lie on the floor and read or sit on the couch. It’s more like a laptop than an iPad. The size is nice for split screen though.

1 Like

It’s my wife’s, but she never uses it held up unless she is walking around (so short stints). It’s too heavy.

She has a nice tri-fold cover, and when on the sofa she normally doesn’t actually fold it into the little triangle, she just flips the cover so it acts as a firm surface below the iPad and rests that on her legs or the arm of the sofa or a blanket or a soft toy or somewhere.

1 Like

While I think that I have found some peace with the size of the 12.9”, I do stare in envy as my wife easily navigates her new iPad Air with one hand. If I am reading a book or Apple News, I usually end up removing the iPad from its keyboard rest one elbow on the arm of the chair, and hold it with both hands from the bottom and swipe through pages with my thumbs. If I am reading webpages, it stays in the case and gets propped up on my knees, where it becomes more of a laptop rather than an iPad.

1 Like

Exactly what I’ve experienced. I prefer the 12.9" for side-by-side sketch-noting next to the Kindle book I am reading, but I have to wrap one hand around behind it and prop it against that forearm. I looked around and found this – which will arrive next week. It seems odd to solve the problem of comfortably holding something large by putting it into something larger, but I thought I would give it a try since the larger form factor could make it easier to rest the iPad+case in the lap, against a table, etc.

1 Like

When I had a 12.9" iPad I placed 2 throw pillows next to me and used that to support the weight while I held it.

2 Likes

Nope. I use a lapdesk and have the 12.9” with a keyboard case.

1 Like

And there’s this: Harness :crazy_face:

1 Like

A baby Bjorn for your iPad!! I love it.

And coincidentally your username is “neonate?!”

2 Likes

I typically use my 12.9" iPad Pro in landscape mode. It is kinda, sorta a laptop replacement. (Full disclosure; I am writing this on my MacBook Air) I am thinking of getting an iPad mini for the walking around, reading and general media consumption stuff, once they are updated. I would like to see one with the iPad Pro form factor.

1 Like

If I hold my original 12.9" at all it’s generally two-handed. Usually it’s on my lap, on my desk, or on the arm of a sofa. And I still use this venerable beast a lot. Fingers crossed for a March announcement. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

And now I caught myself balancing the iPad on the palm of my hand… :slight_smile:

1 Like

@MartinPacker If you can balance the iPad *on edge,* I will be impressed.

I tried a few positions last night. Propping the iPad against my raised knees works well.

I also found a comfortable way to use the iPad in the Magic Keyboard on my lap desk.
I *thought* I didn’t like doing that. But it turns out that I just don’t like resting my hands on the keyboard.

I use a keyboard all day at work. I accept that much of my leisure time will be staring at screens too, but I like to at least take a break from keyboarding.

I found, however, that I’m happy if I use the Magic Keyboard as a stand and pull the iPad a little closer so it’s comfortable to mainly use the touchscreen. And when I do want to use the keyboard, why, it’s right there.

I will do more experimenting on this this evening and over the weekend. Interrupted by naps.

5 Likes

I like your experimental method :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I love this iPad holder/stand:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DYTM9K8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

1 Like

Here’s another use case.

5 Likes

Why does this photo remind me of a certain scene from Clockwork Orange? :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes