How does Good Notes handle encryption?

I just finished watching David’s phenomenal webinar on journaling. Talk about chock full of sound information!

I was under the impression that Good Notes is not encrypted.

And I just saw that Day One has an option for Day One plus. I was with that app for a very long time. $50 a year? I was ready to accept $40! David makes It sounds intriguing (I had lost interest too).Then I looked it up to make sure and there’s a $50 per year option. I suppose if one wants a great variety of input that’s what you select. But I’m disappointed about it, quite frankly. I was all ready to ante up.

Right. You had me stumped on the math to when they took the app out of the Cloud and onto a local server. Just didn’t seem like such a good idea.

So I have been grandfathered in but just relevant to the most basic aspects. It has been a while since I’ve used it. I usually use Agenda and I like NotePlan- for its simplicity.

1 Like

GoodNotes does not encrypt anything. It basically stores your files

So, if you have content that needs more security than just that, GoodNotes is not the app for the content.

There is a request for implementing encryption into GoodNotes, but it dates way back to 2013 (Add encryption of data - Ideas for improving GoodNotes). And we have arrived in 2022… So, this may be a request that might not be implemented any time soon. I think that the app’s developers never intended GoodNotes to be an app that contains highly confidential data. Encryption would be nice, but it sure comes with caveats depending how it is being implemented regarding OCR, search and much more.

My solution:

GoodNotes is my go-to app for almost anything in combination with notes that are not so confidential that they need more than iCloud’s encryption (which is 99% of my notes). Everything else is saved in BitWarden (“1%”). As you might guess given my solution: I am no journaling person.

My two cents: If you need a note-taking solution with a dedicated additional layer of encryption, GoodNotes is not the app you are looking for.

2 Likes

Thanks ever so much, Christian!

1 Like