I’ve been using CleanShot X for almost 2 years now as my screenshot app and I’ve been very happy with it.
For years I used Snappy and LOVED it, kept using it about 3 years after it was abandoned but it just got too bugy which sent me to try CleanShotX.
I find myself mostly taking screenshots of select areas on the screen for either a file or my clipboard.
I don’t take advantage of about 60% of the apps functionality mostly just from not taking the time to learn but between the app it self and Keyboard Maestro I am very happy with my workflow and thought I’d share a bit. What I like / use most
- OCR Text Capture has been flawless
- Screenshots pinned to screen. Great when you need to compare a list but’ don’t need to save the screenshot beyond that
- Ability to annotate and sav e the screenshot from the popup overly.
- Ability to upload to cloud sevice
- My Keyboard Maestro Palette for all functions
- With the pro version you can use your own domain to share screenshots via link.
Like many of you I like taking advantage of keyboard maestro palettes so I don’t have to remember so many hot keys. For screenshots I have programed my most commonly used screenshot workflow Area to File. (Save area of the screen to my desktop as PNG)
But I made a macro group for all my screenshot functions that I can trigger thru a hotkey tied to show the group palette toggled by (⌥ + `)
The app gets updates every 2 or 3 months and what I love is they make a short video so show new features.
Really the only drawbacks for me are
- No iOS app to view all items saved in the cloud. I have the page bookmarked on my home screen but I always have to login back in.
- The cost for the version I have for Cloud Pro is $100 annually. But that
Would love to read more about some more advanced users screenshot workflow