How is Catalina going for you? (6 week check-in)

I’ve used it since beta 1, and it has improved greatly. And since tha last update 99,9% of my isaues have disappeared. Working very well now.

2 Likes

“* If you use BusyCal or 2Do (maybe some other apps), their Reminders sync is broken if you update to the Catalina version of Reminders.”

Not quite…If you are on iOS13 and Catalina, Reminders do sync. There is a new format introduced in iOS13 that needed Catalina to allow the sync process. I use Fantastical and am thinking it’s the same situation you describe.

I believe that BusyCal and Fantastical use different sync methods (I may have this wrong, so feel free to correct me). BusyCal; uses CalDAV sync, which is busted; I believe Fantastical uses EventKit, which still works but provides less flexibility.

The core issue is that changes in BusyCal/2Do will not sync back to Reminders. There’s some discussion of this at the BusyMac blog and at the 2Do support pages

But, as I said, I may have misunderstood you, so feel free etc

FYI, I merged this with another recent thread on the same topic :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I bought a Razer Blackwidow Chroma keyboard on Black Friday. It turns out the Razer Synapse 2 doesn’t work on Catalina and Synapse 3 only works on Windows. Although I got some stuff to work with Karabiner, I still can’t get the LED Lighting to work.

I have a keyboard you might love: the Drevo Blademaster Pro. I haven’t used it with Catalina but all of the functions work well on Mojave and iOS and it has fun lighting schemes.

Still getting an annoying number of security alerts whenever I run the same AppleScript from a different app, launch the same app from a disk image, etc., etc., but I guess I can live with that. I inventoried my remaining 32-bit apps pretty carefully before upgrading. The only indispensable and (practically speaking) irreplaceable one was AccountEdge, which I now run in a Mojave virtual machine under Parallels. This ends up being nearly seamless, but wouldn’t have been practical if I didn’t have plenty of RAM and wasn’t already using Parallels anyway for a certain specialized Windows application. Other than that, no significant complaints.
Oh, almost forgot, I’m seeing a couple of issues with Keyboard Maestro that may or may not be related to Catalina: KM seems to no longer see F-keys and special-purpose keys on my third-party keyboard, and some macros I had running on a periodic time trigger aren’t firing.
… I keep thinking of more things. I guess this is more Safari 13 than Catalina per se, but my new-style extensions keep crashing, and I’m having trouble loading a number of websites. Some of that may be related to fairly aggressive content blocking on my part.

1 Like

I just upgraded to 10.15.2. Basically because I got a notification asking me to do so. Well, that was definitely not the most pleasant experience in my life. I would go as far as saying that this was more like a Windows upgrade in the XP or Vista era. Several time the screen went blank. The resolution on my external monitor also changed several time. And time remaining time indication was far off.
After almost 40 minutes everything is back up again and seems to be working fine. But this is not the user experience Apple should aim for.

Installed a 2TB SSD in my 2014 Mac Mini over the weekend and figured it was a good idea to do fresh installs for MacOS and Windows 10 for various reasons. No issues installing Mac OS Catalina. I haven’t gotten crazy into automation and other power features and it’s seemed a little quicker over Mojave even. Only issue I’ve noticed is on my dual monitor setup sometimes the menu bar wouldn’t appear on one screen after start up until I opened a application.

Bootcamp is still worthless though. Basically wasted a day figuring out that the Windows 10 installer needs to be the same partition map as the destination because I got the “The selected disk is of the GPT partition style” error during my first install attempt. Not sure how the assistant sets up the USB drive but it needs to be a GUID NTFS when I believe it’s formatting as MBR exFat. Went down a few different rabbit holes with no luck chasing various errors on Apple Support QA’s but finally concluded with these steps.

*Manually created NTFS partition with Disk Utility

• Only use Bootcamp assistant to download the Bootcamp 6.1 Drivers as they aren’t available elsewhere.
  • Unetbootin was not functional on Catalina and I did not successfully make a USB installer with another High Sierra Mac either. Ended up using Rufus on a Windows 10 machine to make the NTFS GUID partitioned install media.

After that it was easy like it should’ve been all along :roll_eyes: