How many apps do you have load at start up and keep running?

I’m curious as to how many apps others have load upon start up and that are kept running during the course of the workday, excluding menu utilities. I have 10, not counting Finder:

Alfred
Safari
Craft
Things
Drafts
DEVONthink
Fantastical
Ulysses

These are the apps I use all day. Given what I consider to be a limited number running, there is little stress on my MBP.

3 Likes

This is my usual workday

Safari
WhatsApp
Omnifocus
Drafts
DEVONthink
Fantastical
Ulysses
Logos

Recent Additions this week for testing
Signal
Telegram

I use Logos about 95% of the time on my iPad Pro for my early morning devotional (Bible study and prayer) time before my day begins. When I need more in-depth research I’ll open it on my MBP but I don’t have it preloading. I may be wrong but I get the impression that Logos is a bit of a memory hog.

It is a complete memory hog. I am currently in the pre-loading phase. (grab my coffee while it does it’s thing). I have tried before to only open it when I need, but everything can come to a grinding halt sometimes (and oh dear when it indexes). Last I saw on the forums, there didn’t seem to be enough interest for a Universal app. I use in on the iPad Pro when I am reading a specific book in mind for a period of time. But when researching or text comparisons, the Mac has more options/layouts.

for me it’s :

1password
Alfred (but that’s basically a menu bar utility)
Yoink
Drafts
Keyboard Maestro
Devonthink
TextExpander
Synology Drive
Mail
Safari
Notes
Calendar
Reminders
Omnifocus

Seeing it like this there’s quite a few, but I think I use all of them throughout the day

2 Likes

I load no apps meeting this constraint – although I do have 16 Login Items and a number of helper apps with launch daemons.

My practice, as soon as Bartender cleans up the menu bar – which is my clue that login has settled down, is to open and keep open all day:

• Agenda
  • Todoist
  • Drafts
  • Curio
  • Safari
  • Airmail
  • DEVONthink 3
  • Fantastical 3
1 Like

It constantly changes but here is today’s list from User->Login Items.

• 1Password Keyboard Maestro
  • BusyCal
  • Nextcloud
  • Firefox
  • Turbo Boost Switcher Pro
  • Music
  • Bettersnap Tool
  • Joplin
  • Omnifocus
  • Mail
  • Semulov
  • Automounter

I have around 30 something items in my menu bar. TG for Bartender. Several of those are helper apps and iStat menu metric displays. But still, a lot!

What do you think of Alfred? Does it work in tandem with Keyboard Maetro or do they do some of the same things?

I’ve always used Alfred as a universal search utility, and KM for automation. So in my world they are complementary. Alfred can probably do some stuff that KM can, but certainly not all.
So I just use both, and enjoy the benefits

1 Like

That’s what I thought, based on the discussions on Apple podcasts I’ve listened. I pick it up soon.