How to get rid of the many fonts showing up in Word?

I’ve looked around, but I can’t seem to find an answer. I’m wondering if anyone else has come across one. For work purposes, I do a lot of writing in Microsoft Word. I have a default font set up, but on occasion I find it necessary to switch to a different font for a portion of the text. Often, I have a reason to use a font that I haven’t used recently. When I pull up the font menu in the tool bar or through Command-D, I’m presented with roughly 2.37 gazillion fonts that I will most likely never use. If the font I’m looking for is not recently used, I may have to scroll through the many fonts until I get to the one I want.

To me, this seems to be overkill. I know in some instances I can use Font Book to delete or disable fonts, but that doesn’t seem to affect the font choices in Word. Is there some way that I can tell Word to pretend that Leelawadee and others aren’t installed and to show me only the 10, 15, or 20 that I’d like to select from?

Obviously, this is a real “first world” problem that is not a big one in any sense. Still, every time I go through the process I ask why can’t I pare the offerings down. My meditation practice is not far enough along to allow me to completely let go of that thought, unfortunately. :grinning:

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Cheers!

The “Office-compatible fonts” section is Microsofts solution to documents showing up with missing fonts between Windows, iOS and Mac users. AFAIK, these fonts are only available in the Office apps, but I agree, it would be nice to have a “favourite font” feature for the few we actually use. I found no way to do this on iPadOS unfortunately.

MS Word’s fonts on your Mac are stored here:

/Applications/Microsoft Word.app/Contents/Resources/DFonts

So, you could delete them manually, but doing so would be doing surgery on the application itself, which might have undesirable effects.

IOW don’t do this

Unfortunately, that’s not a complete fix.
I emptied DFonts, and all the fonts were still listed in Word, though Roboto was substituted for some when I tried editing.
When looking for a solution for this earlier, I also edited /Users/john/Library/Group Containers/UBF8T346G9.Office/FontCache/4/Catalog/ListAll_hier.json to:

{"MajorVersion":4,"MinorVersion":17,"Expiration":14,"Fonts":[]}

To no avail.
I also tried both these together, and Word weirded out and crashed.

I think this is a perfectly reasonable request, and I’m also interested in a good answer.

This won’t solve your bigger issue, but until you do, here’s a workaround.

After you click the dropdown arrow for Word’s font list, start typing the name of the font you want. For example, typing “b o o” will jump down to Bookman. I use this a lot because I use Verdana for some headings and it’s near the bottom of the list.

1 Like

This article seems to be what you are looking for:

http://www.jklstudios.com/misc/osxfonts.html#officefonts

It may be a bit much too much information. Have fun!