How to remove local iCloud file?

I have not been able to figure this out.

If I have a file in iCloud, and I “download” it to my iPad. How do I remove the local copy of the file once I no longer need the file on the iPad (but still want it in iCloud)?

Thank you,

Does the file have a cloud icon next to it? If so it’s not on your iPad, but merely pointed to. If it doesn’t now, it will, because iOS does the housekeeping for you.

Apple says, “When storage space is needed, files, photos, movies, email attachments, and other files that you seldom use are stored in the cloud automatically.”

You wait until the OS decides to offload it.

Well, that sucks. I am in Apple’s corner, but I don’t need Steve Jobs deciding which files should be locally stored. I am assuming that he has moved on to bigger things.

I want some files always available, like my company’s logo in multiple formats. And, some files I use them and then might never use them again.

Well, Apple did bring back the minitower, so anything’s possible.

Just on a side note, is it possible to force iOS (iPadOS) to download all of iCloud Drive files and keep to all files saved locally (as well as in the cloud). Assume I have plenty of storage space. Access needed to all files in case no data signal/WiFi available.

Thanks.

iOS 13 will allow users to purge local copies and force files to remain downloaded to the device so only a few months until a fix!

4 Likes

Thanks for the update. I’ll be waiting for the update.