Husky Tool Chest Cult Home Office

I did it, I joined the Sparky Husky Cult! I bought a Husky Tool Chest to store my photography gear and some of my computer gear in my home office. It was part of a home office re-design. It is still a work in progress spanning many years and failed attempts. My many eclectic lighting schemes bear witness to my attempts. Lately, my re-design has been inspired by @MacSparky.

My goal was to get an ultra clean desktop with no cables showing. I managed to hide most of them by building a shelf in the back of the desk (not shown). I have two power bars, one plugged to a ups, the other one, to a surge protector. I still have a few more electrical cables to hide…

Here are the most interesting things in my opinion.

1. Lightings
a. Ikea LED lighting strip behind my desk, lighting my cable shelf when I need to sort spaghetti… not shown.
b. Benq e-Reading Computer ScreenBar sitting on top my iMac. My favorite!
c. Nanoleaf Modular Light Panels below the lions picture above my desk. Love the daylight setting that floods the whole room.
2. Desk features
a. 12 South Compass iPad support
b. Ikea recessed NORDMĂ„RKE Wireless charger
c. Ikea recessed NORDMĂ„RKE USB charger
d. Power/USB recessed outlets (lots of recessed stuff due to lots of re-design/drilling holes…)
e. iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017) and extra monitor on a double arm support
f. Fujitsu ScanSnap 1500 on a retractable arm
g. Ikea SYMFONISK WiFi bookshelf speaker aka Sonos. Great Sonos speaker!
h. External drives including a RAID 0 - 4 SSD disks for maximum speed. Yes, all backed up using local drives and a Synology Drive backing up offsite to another old Synology. I’m using Synology Drive as my Dropbox replacement.
3. Office features
a. The Husky Tool Chest of course. I didn’t carve out foams to put everything in specific slots (except for my camera lenses). I think I will make compartments but not specific shapes.
b. Umbra Hangup Photo Display Cloth lines.

Let me know if you have any questions.

16 Likes

Cool setup and some stunning photos on display there!

1 Like

Thanks! Passionate about wildlife in Africa.

1 Like

Cool set up.

How do you like the CRI on the Benq e-Reading Computer ScreenBar? Is the light pleasant?

Thanks. Yes, very pleasant. I let it adjust automatically and I find no issues. My assessment is not very technical though. Pure impression.

1 Like

Awesome looking setup! I do have questions …

1. What is the “retractable arm” you are using for your ScanSnap? That is exactly what I have been looking for to get mine off the desktop.
  1. What is that monitor arm? I am looking to do just what you have done - put my second (Dell) monitor on an arm beside my iMacPro.

2. It looks like you have mounted your iMac on a monitor arm but left the support base in place. I thought the base had to come off to vesa-mount the monitor on am arm, but obviously that is not true? Why DID you leave the base on, though, if it is on a monitor arm?

Thanks.

eh thanks! Good questions especially the third one!

1. I ordered the Bretford MobilePro Desk Mount Combo from the Apple store. Very sturdy but intrusive since you have to bolt it to the desk. I love it though.
  1. Same company, Bretford MobilePro Adjustable Wall Mount. I used the laptop tray from the combo mount above to hold the snapscan. It’s a bit tight but it does the job.
  1. I was really bummed because I discovered the iMac support base could not be removed after I bought everything (stupid mistake) but I found this! Not the most elegant thing but it does the job. Not all support base come off. You have to dig a bit in the specs to find out. But I think it does come off for the iMac Pro. Just double check.

VIVO Adapter VESA Mount Kit | Bracket Set for Apple 21.5 inch and 27 inch iMac (Late 2009 to Current Models) LED Display Computer (Stand-MACB)

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00RW9F336/ref=pe_3034960_233709270_TE_item

Hope this help.

1 Like

Do you have the link or model number for that Husky tool chest?

1 Like

Wow, I have not logged in for a long time. Apologies. In case you are still looking for this…
https://www.homedepot.ca/product/husky-standard-duty-46-inch-w-9-drawer-mobile-workbench-with-solid-wood-top-in-gloss-black/1000682125

Nice setup! What dark paint and color you do have behind the desk? thanks

Some light and dark blues.