Hyperkey by Ryan Hanson

I tried this, I couldn’t get Keyboard Maestro to pick up the Hyperkey into a hotkey. I gave up an uninstalled. I tried Better Touch Tool, it is worth the couple of extra bucks because
a) it worked out of the gate with no fiddling. One could neglect to reset the Caps Lock to Caps Lock in modifier preferences I guess. Not sure it wasn’t user error with Hyperkey, but whatever…
b) it is worth the 8$ for me to have the Hyper key alone
c) I just tried, for fun as it were, to put a button on my touchbar, it made that useful for the first time, a magenta key with an anchor that sticks in memory for screenshot. So I already have a slight bonus.
If they Hyperkey guy is readng this, it was not good for me that it didn’t work out of the box and I decided on BTT, which was worth it just for that. I used Karbiner on my last machine. It was ok and I would have loaded it again had BTT now worked.

This certainly is odd f and I experienced it also. BTT is a great app, especially with a Touch Bar, so good luck with that.

Personally, I was coming from Karabiner and I appreciated the fact that Hyperkey is a lighter app that seems less intrusive on the system. So, I was content to make the trade off: to record the hyperkey in KM I need to press all 4 modifiers, but to use the shortcut it is fine to press the single hyperkey.

The dev explained via email that macOS has a variety of ways to implement and read key modifiers. Unfortunately, right now, these two apps misalign somehow.

1 Like

I was going to try that as a matter of fact, but now I am glad I went for BTT for the $3 difference. Trouble is now I am a bit over commited to the hyperkey and would have to relearn a bunch of shortcuts if I didn’t have it.

I realize this is a little late, but Keyboard Maestro’s shortcut recorder is one of the few places I’m aware that Hyperkey is not able to register the remapping with. However, if you just manually press all the modifiers in Keyboard Maestro’s shortcut recorder, then the hyper key will properly trigger behavior with Keyboard Maestro. Not ideal, but there are pros and cons to Hyperkey’s implementation and overall I prefer the way Hyperkey works.

1 Like

Thanks, somebody else said something similar. Had I not got better touch tool I would have done that. It worked out fine I am quite happy with Better Touch Tool. to date I haven’t used anything behond the hyper key with it though, I don’t need anything. I tried something on the touchbar but meh, who cares. Now the touch bar is defunct anyway I am not going to bother with it. Just turn it back to number keys and anything I used to do on those.

I tried Hyperkey again on my new totally clean non-migrated MacBook Pro, no BTT or KE installed.
Still have the same odd behaviour - as an examplevI use hyperkey+enter in keyboard maestro to type out clipboard.
Using Hyperkey it triggered random macros and didn’t do type out the clipboard at all.
Removed it and installed KE and it worked flawlessly.
Really odd.

I didn’t bother with it again, just paid the $9 to Better Touch Tool and only use the Hyper Key on it. Well worth it to me. I might try some other BTT things sometime. I don’t really need anything at present given my power suite of apps.