I like my windows the way I like them

Many people have multiple overlapping application windows open on their screens while working. But I’ve always maximized whatever window I’m working in.

When I need to have two windows open, I tile them vertically, with no overlapping pixels. I rarely need more than two windows open onscreen at the same time.

I use a 27” external display for my Macbook. The 27” display is my primary display. I keep the Macbook open next to it. Sometimes I’ll throw an application window over to the Macbook.

I use Cmd-Tab a million times a day to move between applications and windows. Sometimes, rather than tiling windows, I just Cmd-Tab rapidly between them.

I’m always interested in hearing how other people work.

(I’m fine with food touching on my plate, but I eat one course at a time, finish one course, then move on to the next. Main course, then veggie. If there’s a potato course, it’s main course, then potatoes, then veggie.)

2 Likes

Overlapping windows make me cranky, as do full-screen applications. I have a 32" monitor, so I almost always have my main window on the right 2/3, and a secondary window on the left 1/3. For example, Mail on the right, Things3 on the left, or Ulysses on the right, Chrome on the left. Moom arranges them neatly, with a crisp 10px margin between.

I also make use of Spaces for organizing similar work. Mail, calendar, to-do lists in one space, writing in another, video editing in a third, etc.

AND - no files stored on the desktop unless I’m actively working on them.

It’s possible I’m a little obsessive about my workspace. :rofl:

7 Likes

I’m also like hearing how others work. My main monitor looks like a mess compared to yours since I’m driven by having each window at an ideal size and cmd+tab switching, rather than having everything laid out tiled, so I have a lot of overlap windows. I like seeing little corners of other windows peeking behind for quick dragging or just context. I care a lot about which windows are active on which monitor/space, though.

It’s really the 5k that makes it possible to make big enough windows to do my best work and focus, that are also sharp enough, and that let useful enough bits of other apps show around the edges.

4 Likes

I have my windows maximised (not full-screen) and switch between windows/Apps using (Keyboard Maestro) macros (Hyperkey + 1 other key).

I do this on the internal 16" screen of my MacBook Pro, but also on 24"/27" external monitors…

1 Like

Interesting thread!

I would drive those of you who don’t like overlapping windows crazy.

Main monitor usually has 3 windows open, all overlapping/covering. Whatever I am working on is on top (often Excel, I have spreadsheets for everything). A very large Forklift window is also always open on this monitor that I cmd-tab to as needed. Then I usually have Soulver open on the main monitor. Not that I use it a ton, but when I want to do some quick math for some reason, it is my preferred app (despite PCalc living on my menu bar, which I also use sometimes use).

Second monitor is all overlapping. If I am working on two different apps at the same time, then the other app/window is here. Usually, Drafts or another Excel spreadsheet. Obsidian is always open in a large window as well. I am taking notes there constantly. OmniFocus is always open under/next to it. My life lives in those two apps. 1Password is usually open in a corner on the second monitor.

It’s funny because on my Window’s machines I am less likely to overlap. Mainly because my 2 PCs have very large monitors 39’ wide on one and a 32" 4k on the other. Also because Windows 11 Power Tools is so great at quickly and easily arranging windows. I keep meaning to check out an app that does the same on macOS, but haven’t yet.

On my Mac for personal stuff, I either work with apps full screen or half and half split. The only exception to this is a screen which I use to manage media which has 3 windows open, but again, they’re tiled.

On windows (for work) I have 2 screens at all times and either run apps full screen or two apps tiled on a screen, so a maximum of 4 visible apps where I work left to right on processes.

1 Like

My window arrangement depends on what I’m doing.

If I’m working on photographs then each app gets its own space, with windows often maximized (not full screen which I never use - I have Better Touch Tool configured so that clicking the green window button maximizes and does not full screen the window). Windows do not overlap in this case1.

If I’m coding I’ll have windows overlapping and switch between say BBEdit and iTerm and Postico, bringing the window I need to the foreground using either the mouse or rcmd.

I use Bunch to set up my workspaces, and Moom as my window manager to arrange them.

2 Likes

This is exactly what I do, also using moom. I have a space for 2/3 omnifocus and 1/3 calendar, another for 2/3 devonthink and 1/3 for finder,
another for 2/3 mail, 1/3 messages and then a final one for 2/3 browser 1/3 miscellaneous.

The keyboard shortcuts in moom make it so easy and instantaneous to arrange the windows as either the 2/3 or 1/3 that I now do it without even thinking. So when I open apps on an as-needed basis they’re always immediately shunted into either of those positions.

1 Like

Exactly. Sometimes I use overlapping windows, sometimes I want them tiled, and sometimes I want them maximized. I use spaces heavily. Like you, I hate full screen except for things like movies.

2 Likes

I have a couple of monitors and for certain applications such as WhatsApp and Spotify, I put them on the side monitor, middle of the screen and not maximise. I use a KM macro to help me move them there all the time.

As for the main screen, my windows are a mess there. I hide apps that I don’t use as I don’t know how to deal with their windows. On the main app, it’s usually half the screen while a browser, which I often use for reference is the other half. But with lots of tabs, sometimes the browser is widened to more than half which then messed with my main app. It’s really inconsistent how the windows are in this screen.

1 Like

I have carefully tiles windows that overlap and am obsessive about getting them all aligned perfectly but offset just enough so I can click on each one in turn. Email is the lowest with smallest window. Then Calendar, then Safari or Firefox (depending on browser de jour). Then things like Android Studio or PyCharm are on “top”. Like this, except no IDE on top in this pic.

3 Likes

Overlapping windows make me very nervous, it’s amazing how we are all different. Does carefully organised windos would last 5 minutes in my case :smiley:

What I’d really like is a KM macro that replicates some of the functions of Stage Manager without making the background apps unusable. It would be great to be able to keep a stable of windows tiled on my second monitor, summon the ones I want to the main screen with a macro, and send them back the same way.

I think I have the macro for you.
I have one macro that will always arrange Spotify, Drafts and WhatsApp into the second monitor.

Then I have another macro that will send any window to a part of the main.

I’ll paste the macro here when I’m back to the Mac.

2 Likes

I have many overlapping windows but have certain apps locked to their own spaces, e.g., DEVONthink, Mail.app, Safari, etc. However, I also blogged some ideas about this not too long ago…

1 Like

No one mentioned Mission Control, so I’ll throw in my two cents. I have a MacBook Pro connected to an Apple Studio Display. I have zoom meetings sprinkled throughout the day. I dedicate the MacBook Pro display to Zoom and my task manager, Things. On the Studio Display, I have two Desktops. One of them is dedicated to writing code. So terminal windows, VS Code, etc. The second desktop has everything else, browser windows, Mail app, etc. This allows me to focus when I’m coding and not be distracted by anything else.

Jon Siracusa has a video of his window management practices up for ATP subscribers. It would drive anyone crazy.

1 Like

I can’t see the referenced video but My desktop looks a lot like that during major programming sessions. I’t snot all that crazy…

1 Like

Marco and Casey also thought it was a bit crazy, so it’s probably a lot about personality type. If you listen to ATP, you know Jon is very particular about things. (Always surprised how little overlap there of MPU and ATP listeners (at least on the forum), but I suppose I shouldn’t be. People here seem more productivity focused.)

This looks familiar. I don’t have quite so many overlapping windows. The only time windows are arranged in their respective areas is when I am using apps concurrently.