I love this Apple commercial

The first video linked has audio descriptions.

9 Likes

I agree it’s a great one. It reminded me to appreciate the abilities I have. And I didn’t know about many of the accessibility features on the iPhone.

But I do hope the lady that was driving stopped before she adjusted the volume. :wink:

1 Like

I love this, too! Thanks for sharing, @JohnAtl!

1 Like

Yeah, it is great how technology could increase the quality of our lives dramatically!

I have myself no disability that needed a support like that at the moment, but I am for example glad, that we will have self-driving cars around when I went in my older ages, and could rely on that, instead of still driving around with maybe some eye problems, or other problems related with increasing ages.

2 Likes

I have a friend who is legally blind who was able to get his driver’s license thanks to technology.
To preface, some people who are legally blind can see to some extent.
Anyway, he uses a GPS because he can’t read road signs, and he has some sort of apparatus that allows him to better see traffic signals.
This same guy used to take the bus as far as he could to my undergrad school, then walk the remaining mile there and back to the bus – rain or shine.
So the ability to drive really helped him out. He got his license after earning his BS in computer science.
I helped him with some math, and we would use an iPad. I would write formulas and equations, and he would zoom in on what I’d written and hold it close so that he could read it.
He was also a Paralympic athlete and played Goal Ball.

3 Likes

Thanks for sharing; I hadn’t seen that one.

This is why we need a wide diversity of people working in tech — assistive technology is so neat and so widely needed, but I think we’ve only begun to explore what’s possible.

I have fluctuating hearing loss in one ear. That itself isn’t too bad, but the side effects are. One of them is hyperacusis, which means certain frequencies sound much louder than they actually are. Painfully loud, in fact.

What helped me was to get a hearing aid to boost the signal (sound) to the nerves so that my brain would stop misinterpreting things. I thought this would mean the end of using my AirPods (or any headphones, actually) because I find it difficult to use only one. (If I had hearing aids for both ears, I could route sound to them from the iPhone.) I use my AirPods a lot — every day, often for several hours while I do mundane things, exercise, etc.

But then I discovered a setting in Accessibility that lets me change the left-right balance for everything, not just music (I mostly listen to spoken word content). Now I can boost the sound to my partially-deaf ear, replicating what the hearing aid does. It’s helping to keep the hyperacusis at bay without compromising my ability to use my iPhone like I did before.

6 Likes