I Was Able to Replicate an OF Perspective in Reminders

As I wrote here, with the recent release of OF 4, I decided to use OF and Reminders simultaneously for a while to see which one best fits my needs. I think OF4 “deserves” another look, given the massive overhaul.

Though there is a lot I like about OF, one of the things I don’t like is its slow sync. I’m running into situations where OF4 hangs on sync, forcing me to quit it manually. It is also slow to sync across my devices.

On the other hand, I find the Forecast perspective for Today ideal when combined with tasks flagged or tagged with “Next” to see both tasks due Today and things I’m working on (in process) from Today and in the future until completion. This keeps important “in process” tasks front of mind. It occurred to me that I may be able to replicate this OF feature using a Reminders Smart List. Sure enough, I can replicate the OF Forecast perspective in Reminders, as shown below. Note: the last two items are the ones tagged to always show up in the Today+Flagged Smart List.

Reminders iPhone Widget

Reminders on Mac

OF Version

In short, I am now always aware of things that are due today as well as things in process and due within a few weeks.

I’ll continue running both apps concurrently. Although it creates a little extra work, one of the advantages is that I discover new ways of doing things.

6 Likes

Thanks for sharing this.
I use Goodtask along with reminders for planning the week ahead.

1 Like

That OF screen creeps me out with the information density :face_with_peeking_eye:. Would you mind sharing your Smart Folder settings in Reminders?

Also, could you please make a Reminders Master Field Guide - maybe join forces with McSparky :wink:? I guess many people would be grateful :blush:.

I’m not worthy to work with @MacSparky on any Field Guide. I’ll leave that to the Jedi Master of Field Guides. :slightly_smiling_face:

Here is a screenshot of the Smart List settings:

2 Likes

That OF screen creeps me out with the information density

It is not too bad but they should get rid of the date. The date is obvious from “Date Ribbon” above it. That would clean up the GUI a good bit. If tomorrow is the 29th, then, obviously, today is the 28th. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Hence I suggested you join forces, as you are probably the Yedi Master of Reminders :wink:.

There is so much information on how to tame OmniFocus but hardly any more advanced tips and tricks for Reminders. Therefore I always appreciate when you share some findings for and usage of Reminders app :blush:.

1 Like

Though there is a lot I like about OF, one of the things I don’t like is its slow sync. I’m running into situations where OF4 hangs on sync, forcing me to quit it manually. It is also slow to sync across my devices.

THIS is my main obstacle with OF. I like its power but its syncing ability has not been reliable nor timely. It is still that way.

Re -

“That OF screen creeps me out with the information density”

OF4 allows you to control what’s seen in the perspective. It can be made to look as “clean” as the reminders example if that’s what you want. Or you can add more if that’s your jam.

3 Likes

What’s OF? Omnifocus?

Yes.

20 Characters …

1 Like

Not quite, although it does replicate a custom perspective I use. :slight_smile:

• No in-line calendar events
  • No way to drag and drop to change defer/due dates
  • No way to click a date to filter by the date selected
  • No way to scroll through as a timeline

Reminders is getting more powerful, but I doubt that it will ever get as powerful as OmniFocus.

I was, perhaps, not as clear as intended. I was not trying to replicate the OF perspective entirely, just the ability to show tasks due Today + tasks I’m currently working on that are due within the next several weeks, such as longer articles, presentations, or reports. Reminders is not as powerful as OF, but I think it is more powerful than many realize because they have not given it a thorough (weeks or months, not days) test drive. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes