I wonder whether the 12.9” iPad has a future

I don’t have one either. I bought the keyboard/trackpad/cover device with the iPP, but it was so heavy and cheap-feeling I returned it immediately.

Still open to a keyboard though. Eyeing a Bluetooth number pad for spreadsheet work.

I feel like I may be missing out on potential productivity by not exploring the mouse/keyboard features in iPadOS. I am a huge keyboard shortcut user on the Mac.

You can basically explore the user experience using universal control - and get an idea of whether you’d actually enjoy using the iPad that way using your Mac keyboard/trackpad/mouse without having to re-pair anything or any other setup.

2 Likes

For the kinds of things I do I wouldn’t last a day without a hardware keyboard! I can do without the trackpad but it is a very nice addition to have as well, just not essential. I have Apple’s Magic Keyboard for iPad and I like it a lot. But I’m also very happy having the magnetic Moft stand attached to the iPad so that it can be propped up at any angle on a pillow in front of me. I’ll often just use a Bluetooth keyboard I have nearby. The two make for a nice combination.

She loves it. Before she had multiple notebooks both paper and in Notability to track daily tasks, take notes on ideas for her shop, make meal plans, etc. The Remarkable has completely replaced all of it for her. She always struggled to find daily planners with a full page for each day before. She bought a PDF planner page off of Etsy that I sideloaded onto the remarkable as a template and now uses that. She likes how high-contrast the screen is and that she can use marker-width pens to write without dealing with fumes like real markers.

I ordered the keyboard case attachment as soon as it was announced for her, and that is also really nice if you’re looking for a “typewriter”-like experience. She uses the companion app on iOS and Mac to view her notes on those devices and that works well for her. I’m really kind of jealous! I’ve tried using it along with a Kindle Scribe, and I just don’t think those kinds of devices are for me at the moment.

2 Likes

Yeah I’m not sure I could make it work for me either but I am always really interested in people’s experience when it does work for them. You never know when you’re gonna encounter that bit of inspiration that makes a tool click.

I have a 2017 11” iPadPro, use a 2020 12.9” Pro as my main device today. I also have a M1 iMac, but the 12.9 iPad Pro is my device of choice…

12.9 would be obsoleted - for me - if there were a 15. Real estate is the thing.

1 Like

An iPad mini with proper cellular (sms etc) and ability to pair with Apple Watch.

It would also be able to dock into iPadOS or macOS depending on your needs at the time.

That’s all I’d need, and it’s hardly a pipe-dream from a technical perspective.

4 Likes

I was actually considering the iPad mini with cellular (waiting for WWDC to see if they update it). The mini is so much easier to use in more places but I wonder how the small screen would affect multitasking with split screen. PDFs may be too small.

I should clarify:

By “proper sim support” I mean calls and texts. There’s literally no good reason why the iPad can’t make a receive not al phone calls and sms, or act as an agent for the Apple Watch. It’s user-hostile IMHO, and when the real reason is as obvious as it is, makes me very disappointed.

I have the 12.9 and it is one of my core Apple devices. I also have an M1 16" MBP, iPad 11, and iPhone 14 Pro Max.

My iPad 11 is my listen to podcasts in the kitchen and recipe device, plus it is often with me in the care as my Waze and entertainment device.

The M1 MBP is my core work device (although not used for job work these days), but it is where my 20+ years of notes, writing, photos, Keynotes, and so much more are honed.

But, my iPad 12.9 is my go to consumption device, but also where I sketch ideas (they iPad 11 is too small for me to do this), but also my goes with me for idea captures and initial working through ideas that later get honed on the MBP. When I had my pre-M1 MBP in for keyboard repair my 12.9 M1 was my main device and it did the job insanely well.

An MacBook Air is interesting, but lacking sketching and easy annotation and pulling out of ideas from what I’m reading it is just a so so device for me. The potential 15" MB Air is more of interest as the current Air screen feels like my iPad 11, which is compressed space and too small for having 2 or 3 things comfortably side by side (but I do this with my 12.9 iPad Pro and it works well with 2 things).

If all anybody is doing is web browsing and email, the Air is fine. Light writing without reference notes it is okay. Needing reference notes it feels more constrained than and 12.9 iPad Pro, which seems odd, but the brightness of the 12.9 screen and its clarity make this task easier on the iPad Pro.

The MacBook Air is good for a lot more than that! :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

I agree. With the exception of screen size my current M1 MBA could replace any of the approx. 150 Macs I was managing in 2018.

3 Likes

I haven’t touched my 2021 M1 iPad “Pro” 11 in months. Now I wonder how often I need to charge the battery to keep it good.

I am beginning to believe that my M2 MacBook Air and Kindle Signature are all I really need to tote.

1 Like

“Store it half-charged when you store it long term.”

It works for me,

2 Likes

Don’t store it for the long term in a full charge state. Charge it to 50% and then turn it off. Check after a month and again after two months to see how fast the battery is losing charge. Don’t let it go below 20%.

You wanna charge it to 50% and turn it off, then check it every 6 months and top it up to 50%. If it’s been at 0% for 11 months it may already be dead. 100% isn’t great over a long period but being left at 0% will ruin a modern lithium ion battery in short order.

And so is an iPad Pro.

1 Like

Quite honestly, if all somebody is doing is babysitting the charge on the iPad 11 I would think that selling it would be a better idea.

That said, if somebody only uses it once a week or so, it’s very possible for a single charge to last the week. Just have to get creative about things like airplane mode and such.

1 Like

Ok thanks. Thats a lot of work for an unused device. :smiley: