IA Writer for Long-Form Writing?

What’s the advantages of Mellel? I am intrigued.

Edit: I mean, beyond what I can see on the website. It looks like a mix of Scrivener and Pages to me.

1 Like

Yes, Ulysses is a great application. I’ve used it for well over a year. The only reason I’m considering changing is that I am very strict with the total number of subscriptions that I will allow. When there are alternatives that will do the job for a one time or a periodic upgrade price rather than a subscription I will tend to go that route. After reconsidering everything I have gone back to Scrivener. It is more than I actually need but it is a tremendous app and there is no subscription. But again, Ulysses is also a great app and that’s what I would be using were not for the subscription that Ulysses charges.

2 Likes

That may be said of many apps in recent years, I think. There’s a difference between making a task easier and creating ‘enhancements’ to address some problem that was never looking for a solution.

2 Likes

I so agree. I have a couple of good apps now that I wish they would just leave alone. Ulysses is one. I understand what @Bmosbacker says. I used to take that line myself. I have changed my stance though and frankly find it more cost effective to keep using Ulysses at $40 a year than learn a new app. I really feel I would spend well over 200$ in time on it. It is very hard thing to really be sure of costings though I admit. I take his point about keeping an eye on subs. I try to keep a list, it is easy to miss one though, especially the auto renewal ones. Magazines and Journals included.

In fact costings has come to preoccupy me a lot recently, I am not sure most of us, if any of us, can really do it as well as we think we can?

I needed, since once again my life has taken a detour backwards you might say, a script writing app… I started fooling around and realized that the only sensible option was to just stump up for Final Draft. It was on sale as it happened and worth every penny in all kinds of ways. Again an app in danger of becomming feature over loaded…

1 Like

I was just going to suggest Scrivener. I much prefer it to Ulysses and you can get as organized as you’d like! I tend to teach myself as I go as it need not be complicated.

1 Like

I think it is just what you say, a mixture of Scrivener and Pages: though it is nicely built and easy to use. Scrivener wasn’t easy to learn I found.

I just like the ‘feel’ of Mellel. I tried it out as it was compatible with BookEnds Bibliographies at one point. I was struggling with Bibliographies and Mellel inigrated with BookEnds in a way that other apps didn’t. There was a joint subscription even at one point and that was good if you used both. It is good, I am told, if you write Hebrew and other languages too. Again I would have no experience of that.

I never used an ‘automatic’ bibliography system after years of playing around with them. I just copy and paste at my current use or even just format citations within the editor. I started to realize how irrational a lot of my own behavior is really regarding tech. I have spent way more time experimenting with set ups than was ever merited :rofl:

I guess I got a bit used to Mellel. I like, as I say, the ‘feel’ of it: I can’t put it better than that. They developer Ori, is a really nice guy too and helpful and very easy going. It has a lot of power I haven’t explored or used I admit. I just like it. It shows nice on the screen, prints out well too. I am a LaTex fan too. I have way more text editing apps than I really need. I often use Pages to be honest and find it quite adequate. I will spend a few bucks on an app that I just play around with for some time if the developer is ‘one of us’ as I see it.

1 Like

Thanks for the write up! I will remain intrigued but stick with what I’m used to, too. :wink:

1 Like

Me too and there are good YouTiube videos. Is there anything you can’t learn on YouTube, brain surgery? :slight_smile:

1 Like