iCloud problems with sync causing data loss

I’m sure someone has a better explanation, but my understanding is the /usr/ folder is necessary as part of the linux underpinning of the OS, and it’s used to store code files used by non-Apple software. So having that restricted shouldn’t impact anything your have under User/userId

I think if you didn’t add anything to the exclusion list you should be fine. You can verify by logging into your backblaze account on the web, and act as if you need to restore a specific file. You can work through the backed up directory there and see if the folder is there.

At least I think I used to do that. It’s been awhile since I used Backblaze, though I’m probably going to start again.

@vsp is correct about the file localtion.

Then, if you want a copy of all your original photos & videos on your Mac, open the Photos.app.

Then go to Preferences, iCloud and select “Download Originals to this Mac”.

Eventually, you should end up with a copy of all your photos in your local .photoslibrary file. How long depends on your internet service, the number and size of photos/videos, etc.

In your Photos app at the bottom of the Library/All Photos page you will find a count of the number of photos & videos and it should tell you when the sync is complete.

@vsp and @WayneG thank you for the help, much appreciated. I’ll make sure I have all of the photos downloaded and backed up. I may have been backing up the photos via BB but I’ll make sure everything is downloaded as well. I’m also going to share this information with my family so they too can protect their photos. Thanks again!

Just a note: CloudKit syncing with DT is fine as far as I know, indexing iCloud folders into your DT database is asking for trouble, and I guess the culprit is iCloud “optimizing” your disk. DT will update via CloudKit its database index faster than the files get downloaded from iCloud Drive to your computer.

I haven’t had any problems with iCloud in a couple of years or more.

I’m well backed up with Time Machine, Carbon Copy Cloner, and Backblaze. The trouble with file loss via iCloud is that I may not know it happened until months or years later when I start looking for something. Or, I may never know. It would be nice to have an app that tracked file deletions and notified me of changes.

Anyway, the consensus in this discussion seems to be that Dropbox is more reliable (maybe much more reliable) than iCloud, so I am seriously considering switching back to Dropbox from iCloud. The main drawback is the lack of native support for Apple iWork files in Dropbox on iOS. Also, as I remember, Dropbox is somewhat aggressive in trying to upsell. But it has been years since I used Dropbox on a regular basis.

The main issue with iCloud sync’ing is its unpredictability.

It’s infuriating, if you update your grocery shopping list on iPad or iMac, go to the store, pull out your iPhone and only half is there. You drag and drag and nothing refreshes. It’ll be there for sure once you are back home, so you have a record what you forgot to buy…

Similarly with files. Most sync fast, some take a while, some never sync.

And don’t get me started on Photo sync’ing.

What Apple needs to add is a “sync now” button - similar to Command-R (Refresh) on the Mac. So you can force a sync, and if there’s an issue can get an error in your logs.

3 Likes

I still use Reminders for routine tasks, and Due for important ones, but I’ve started using Microsoft To Do for my grocery lists, etc. If I don’t forget to add items to my list, they are still there when I get to the store :grinning:.

Having to make two trips to the grocery has always been a pain, but Covid has made it worse.

I think you’ve hit the nail on the head. It’s about trust, which is a big problem for Apple. How can I trust iCloud again with the unpredictability? I don’t know if I will ever go back. My files are too important.

1 Like

My main issue with Dropbox is the cost. I don’t need 2Tb of cloud storage… but that’s the only option they have.,.

3 Likes

I’ve given up on iCloud. I do most work on Macs, but my work computer is a Windows machine. iCloud is so unreliable I got to the point at which I’m emailing myself files to the Windows machine. So, I’ve switched to Dropbox. Far superior.

5 Likes