Ignore-ance is bliss

why_dont_they_listen

Just a reminder, if someone rubs you the wrong way (myself included :slight_smile: ), rather than continuing to bash heads, you can just ignore them.

• Click your pic at the upper right
  • Click the little person icon for preferences
  • Click Preferences
  • Click Addā€¦
  • Pick the person and a timeframe
  • Click Save Changes
  • Enjoy your newfound bliss

7 Likes

Yeah. Great suggestion. Been doing it for a while. :sunglasses:

1 Like

I didnā€™t know this existed. Thanks!

1 Like

This is very handy. Thanks!

Edit: John, you are most certainly staying off my naughty list :wink:

1 Like

No one has annoyed me in here so Iā€™ve not considered blocking anyone. Seems like a good group.

Whatā€™s that saying though, if you canā€™t figure out who the person is, itā€™s probably you (me)? :rofl:

1 Like

From a community management perspective, itā€™s not quite bliss. Ignores and mutes are harmful to communities because they paper over problematic behavior, they create a chilling effect on communications between regular members as soon as there is a small amount of suspicion one has ignored the other, and they give new users less of a chance to establish themselves.

The Discourse project resisted implementing ignore for years on community management principles, and hosted a lot of good discussion on the topic. Discourse has a number of techniques built in to limit the use of and damage caused by ignores.

Guessing no one will see this, but posting anyway. :wink:

3 Likes

You are seen. You are heard. You are loved. (I saw your post.)

1 Like

I saw it. And I read it. And I mostly agree with it.

Curiously, my wife and I had a relevant conversation over dinner at one of our favorite restaurants this very evening. That relevant conversation? That there is a difference between the theoretical and the practical.

I agree that this tool is a blunt instrument and does not effectively deal with any ā€œjerksā€ that exist in the community. But when flagging posts has no effect on such jerks and their behavior, being able to silence said jerk is oneā€™s only recourse.

I donā€™t agree with everything posted in these forums. And that is a good thing. Some posts have made me think and have changed my mind. Along the way Iā€™ve learned things.

But I have taken the practical step of muting one and only one person on this forum. And my experience here is better for it.

And I think this post was the impetus for this thread:

:slight_smile:

1 Like