I'm not alone in my Read-It-Later indecision

I started out w/ Instapaper but eventually moved to Pocket. I seem to use it more than I did ever did Instapaper. Not really sure why, just like it more.

That said my biggest gripe with Instapaper is being able to access my saved paywall articles. It seems like once a week I’m having to reenter my Athletic login in to read those articles and since they only have 4 saved logins you can use and the rest uses some sort of hacky method of login in through a web browser (to save some cookie I assume) those articles just build in my queue.

1 Like

I think the paywall hack does work in Instapaper a lot of the time. I’ve used it for this quite a bit though it can be hit or miss. Curious if it’s better with any of the other apps or services.

Also one advantage of instapaper is integration of highlights with Readwise.

So does Safari Reader View

Yup. Or at least some of the time. There are some paywalls it can’t breach—e.g., Bloomberg.com’s subscriber-only content.

1 Like

Nuzzle was my secret weapon for reading behind paywalls, until it was sold a few months ago. Fortunately I can normally find a second source for most stories on Google.

2 Likes

Bloomberg has several good YouTube channels

1 Like

I’m one of those olds that never pivoted to video. :wink: I am a devotee of Bloomberg’s excellent Odd Lots podcast, however.

DIY / Instructional videos and pure entertainment are fine, but unless it’s something that requires visual delivery, I prefer text or audio.

2 Likes

Another paywall hack: clearing the cookies for the site in question will often reset the counter for however many free articles you get.

That being said, paying for content you value is a good thing.

1 Like

Yep good point I noticed that. Paywalls are a pain

Value being the key point. I think i’ve only paid for FT and Medium. Per-article systems are developing and I would prefer that. I’ve heard of potential crypto-driven micropayments services to do this.

Youtube premium is well worth paying for. I got it to be able to play Youtube in the background (without the browser hack) and remove ads.

I found a bloomberg livestream on Youtube but it doesn’t seem to be the main channel only Quicktake.

Bloomberg podcasts are pretty good and free for now.

1 Like

Dear jsamlarose! Please, could you share the script for shortcut to get random item from Reeder! I am trying to make such a script, but withut positive result.

UPDATE: I have done that! :wink: The first step: get unread items from Read Later (Reeder action); the second step: get random object from items (standard action); the third step: open object in Reeder (Reeder action)

Ah— just seeing this now. But yes, you’ve pretty much got it!

I just discovered GetMatter, worth a look. Free at the moment but only on IOS/IpadOS. I am trialling it now

2 Likes

Feels like reading is the next front in the knowledge management race / land grab / evolutionary expansion. I tried Matter a while back; it didn’t do enough to replace my existing workflows at the time (Reeder, Raindrop, Drafts), but I’m curious to see how much more compelling it’ll be with the new features currently being touted. I think Readwise’s Reader might be the tool to beat, though. The thought of a single universal reader (PDFs, RSS, newsletters, read it later and Twitter threads) with annotation/highlight capabilities that plays nicely with my note-making tool is really appealing…

(If Readwise’s app could handle .epub and/or .mobi files in the future, that might just make it the endgame…)

2 Likes

For flat text reading mainly Instapaper and Reeder. For reviews with photos and videos, I use Pocket in which I also keep track of gadgets on the wishlist. All of it is transient content. Ready to delete and move on after reading. Everything permanent is PDFed into Devonthink

2 Likes

Glad to see people still enjoying the Read-It Later discussion.

As an update I also am testing Matter and I also started last week beta testing Upnext. I like the ideas of both but I am anxiously awaiting an invite to Readwise! Anyone got one to throw my way, it would be a great Christmas present! :wink:

2 Likes

Why do developers make iOS only apps?

So frustrating

Yes iOS has its place - but so much is lost if you cannot share data back and forth.

1 Like

Android users ask that same question! :slightly_smiling_face:

Okay— I just started using UpNext, and… wow. It does a lot of what I’ve been waiting to get into Readwise’s Reader for. This might actually be inducted into my tool-stack! Everything’s looking good thus far.

1 Like