I'm not alone in my Read-It-Later indecision

I have been super critical of Instapaper lately. I wrote on Medium about how over the past year it has gone to shit. Not only that, but I along with others thought that it was abandoned. In January, Instapaper was brought back from the dead with version 8.1. I immediately subscribed to Premium again.

3 Likes

can you share where you get version 8.1 (presume this is for Mac). I only have 8.0.1 and App Store showing the same version, which was updated a year’s old.

I am using UpNext as well as Matter. Both have their pros and cons. Instapaper still the main read-it-later app for me, mainly as it can save online copies that could go offline. Not sure UpNext or Matter can do that.

My secondary app is Goodlinks. It is good for those articles that are not behind paywall or utilise their log in features

1 Like

On macOS it is still 8.01, on iOS there is an newer version 8.1

1 Like

I see that @wvp answered the question that you had on Instapaper 8.1. I do all my reading on my iPhone or iPad so I don’t usually think about the Mac app.

UpNext looks interesting; I just signed up for an invite. Really looking for something where I can put my newsletters (from the NYT, WaPo, etc.) and substack articles… and kinda not in the market for yet another subscription. Was hoping News Explorer fit the bill, but alas…

one thing I do not like Upnext is it sign up , sign in process. It seems that they only accept Sign-in with Google or Apple (may be the same for Matter, I cannot recall). In general, I try to avoid both

Screen Shot 2022-02-25 at 9.29.36 am

1 Like

perhaps, I should elaborate …,

When I add the UpNext Chrome extension, I have to either sign in via Google or Apple. With Matter, I can scan the barcode using my iPhone or iPad to log into my account. I prefer Matter’s way of connecting to my account rather than using Google or Apple sign in

A little off topic, but this shortcut allows you to save a page from Safari to Apple Notes.

iOS/iPadOS only - the Mac version of shortcuts annoyingly doesn’t yet have access to Safari Reader.

https://www.icloud.com/shortcuts/a7327acc38f348d5b90a3445b7a66fbb

will be more interesting with this:

PDFs (coming soon)
https://www.getupnext.com/

So far the only good way I’ve found for reading my PDFs everywhere is Apple Books (add to iOS, Mac and it syncs everywhere). Not perfect but I have not found better and Matter’s implementation was still buggy.