iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015) - as external display options?

Hi everyone
How can I use/connect my iMac 27’ Retina late 2015 as external display to MacBook Pro 14’ M1 Pro 2021?
I tried connect by cables:

• Mini DisplayPort 4K 60Hz → USB-C (compatible with Thunderbolt 3)
  • Belkin 4K Mini DisplayPort → HDMI
    and it doesn’t work.

I’m afraid you cannot, at least as far as I understand it:

So, even if I had iMac mid 2014 it won’t works, because my Macbook is too new, yes?
(The other Mac that you’re connecting it to must have been introduced in 2019 or earlier)

I don’t know any more than what’s written in that article, but as far as I can tell, your understanding is correct.

Did anyone find a solution for this? I’m also wanting to do this.

You could perhaps use Luna Display.

I have not used it in this fashion.

I believe it’s technically impossible. It’s not to do with the age of the computer being connected, but with the iMac itself being incapable of being used as a standalone display.

So It will only work if it’s built into the iMac computer as a feature.

1 Like

This should be possible as a software solution. You can airplay to the iMac.

Of course, support for MacOS as an airplay destination was only added recently (Monterey), so if you’re stuck on an older version, then you would need to install a third-party airplay receiver solution. I have successfully used Reflector for this in the past. They do provide free-to-try downloads of all their versions (for 7 days), but only offer version 4 licenses for sale (which supports macOS 10.15 Catalina or newer). The version 4 license does not work on a copy of version 3 (I have tried) so that could be an issue depending on what versions of macOS your hardware supports.

Greetings. I have a similar question/problem. I have a 2013 27" iMac. It works! I also have my 2016 MacBook Pro with TouchBar, whose screen can only work at 30 degrees or so! So I would be very interested in using the iMac as an external display, either to that older MacBook or to the newer one I am getting. In fact, I would be very keen on making such an arrangement.

As I look again to the original article, I could downgrade my old iMac to High Sierra (from Catalina I believe) and my old MacBook from Monterrey to Catalina and use a USB C to Thunderbolt cable?