In the endless series of "which VPN": Encrypt me or alternative?

I’ve used Encrypt me for years now, and am still happy with the solution.
This is especially the case for the auto on feature once an untrusted WIFI network is connected.

I would have three requirements for a new service:

• non US based (pref. EU)
  • no retention of history of any kind
  • auto on once an unfamiliar wifi connects.

If I’d look for another service; which one should I pick?
Is there even a service like that?

sidenote: I have the family plan; so my kids can also use it. The auto connect is mainly for them, because they simply will forget doing that manually.

2 Likes

I’m a happy customer of Mullvad. It is recommended by privacytools.io.

The client has a setting that blocks connections unless the VPN is connected.

If you wanted something specifically for unknown networks, you’d have to integrate something like Little Snitch’s Automatic Profile Switching—such that upon connecting to an unfamiliar network, all connections are blocked except for

1. Those that are required to navigate any captive portal to get connected
  2. Those that are required for Mullvad to establish a secure connection

Then you can allow all connections and carry on with your day.

P.S. Did you know that Mullvad doesn’t run any advertising at all?

would that work on iOS?

Mullvad works on iOS, yes.

I adore Mullvad. They don’t ask for your email address, allow payment via Bitcoin or mailed cash for increased anonymity, and don’t keep logs. They were also an early innovator with Wireguard support.

For me, the only drawback is that Mullvad doesn’t do SmartDNS. So if you want a service to help you access geofenced digital content in other countries, Mullvad isn’t the best choice. I would recommend ExpressVPN for that.

1 Like

Also Mullvad has joined with Firefox for an upcoming Firefox-branded and provided VPN, so they seem to be on solid financial footing as well.

EDIT: Here’s a timely related article:

Why not have them leave it running?

I have unintentionally left ExpressVPN running for days. The last time had my bank not questioned why I was logging in from the UK I’m not sure how long it would have taken me to notice.

I get the same download speed from Comcast whether the VPN is running or off.

1 Like

I use NordVPN. It’s based in Panama, if I remember correctly? It has apps for iOS and Mac of course. There’s tons of ways to configure it, and the connection is very fast. If you’re going to use it, make sure you buy it on sale – they have them all the time. Strongly recommend this VPN.

@mfein10
I went for NordVPN. 70% discount :slightly_smiling_face: