The sequel to this saga!

Does this guy look familiar at all? :wink:
https://youtu.be/WfHplU5fatE
https://youtu.be/nYSm_HOg2kg
https://youtu.be/rvDDC6ktCUg
https://youtu.be/8HebkohrCns
https://youtu.be/9gtRRMd2_UI

1 Like

Looks like Intel has finally found a decent advertising agency. Since they can’t compete on performance they’re going with features and choice.

The Touch Screens “Mutton” one was pure genius. Whoever came up with the Siri misfire had to be an Apple user.

I find that the product others are comparing themselves with is the one to be had. If they were better than the other product, they wouldn’t feel the need to compare themselves to it.

1 Like

It’s safe to say they didn’t like it. But to be honest, with a 7-8.5% market share for computers Apple is not a big player. I guess Intel is more concerned about AMD’s Ryzen line of processors.

Apple users sometimes tend to think that everybody is using Apple computers. That’s not the case. Far from that.

6 Likes

I always tell family and friends that ask for my computing opinions that using a Mac and iOS/iPadOS fits my needs quite well, gives me joy, and does everything I need or would want to do. I’m a happy Mac user for my needs. If they want a Windows PC running Intel to heat up their lap like a space heater while they sit near an electrical outlet because of battery drain and it brings them joy, go for it.

8 Likes

Not even thinking that. But it’s a major vendor moving away from x86/x64 and proving that another architecture is “better”. What if that also starts to happen in the Windows world? A “M1” running ARM Windows?

That already started. AMD’s Ryzen is a popular alternative. Unlike the Apple world, Windows users do have options to choose from.

But everybody knows what Apple is doing, way more than they know what different PC manufacturers do. So in the public eye it is problem for Intel and that’s enough to harm them.

That is not correct, there is no Apple world. Apple users are free to choose every PC they can afford. People buy among all the other personal computing choices (Chromebook, iPad, Mac, PC or for some even a smartphone is enough) and some choose a Mac!
It’s not like living in Russia or the West during communism, where the effort to change your World was difficult to impossible.

For a brand offering choice is just not necessarily an advantage in the market. It often makes user experience worse by divergent parts not fitting together on one hand and overwhelms the costumer during purchase by giving too many options on the other.

Limiting choice is one core of Apples strategy. One of my reasons choosing Apple is that it makes choosing easy!

1 Like

The POWER architecture is still alive and kicking. It’s just not used in consumer hardware anymore.

7 Likes

I think it’s a bit more than that. If it were just “another architecture” that would be one thing. But this is an architecture that’s nearly-universally used on phones / tablets, and an architecture that’s making massive inroads in the commercial server space.

Apple is just showing that it’s not only a viable option for those spaces, but it’s also contender on the desktop - and it can be substantially better than the Intel alternative.

The only reason Windows didn’t run on M1 on day one is pretty much because of licensing issues - not capability. Clear that hurdle, and other manufacturers would be free to use either ARM or Intel hardware.

And if the main issues with ARM are niche compatibility things (audio, video, legacy stuff that won’t emulate well, etc.) then Intel potentially has a Very Large problem as manufacturers of cheap Celeron / Pentium class machines could easily switch and (at least potentially) get better performance for lower cost.

It’ll be interesting to see how it shakes out.

1 Like

I would suggest that there may be drawbacks to choice, but not having choice leads to market stagnation. The fact that there’s viable desktop ARM processors creates incentive for Intel to advance their tech, and the fact that Intel is surely working on their next-gen processors provides incentive for the ARM vendors to keep moving themselves.

Take out the competition and the reasons to be continually innovating are significantly reduced.

1 Like

Tech enthusiasts know, but the average person could care less and doesn’t even know to begin with.

5 Likes

This is the first time that I’ve seen 14nm characterized as “Very Large” :grin:

(I agree with pretty much your whole post, but couldn’t help myself. I think Apple’s move to ARM based CPUs by itself isn’t that big a deal for Intel, but it represents the first time that someone has successfully demonstrated that a processor architecture that dwarfs Intel’s overall market share (but does not really overlap Intel’s market segment) is now suitable for use in applications that Intel depends on. In fact, ARM has not only been shown to be suitable, there is now a working implementation that’s superior to x86/x64 in important ways. This is an existential threat for Intel as we know it, and they have to respond; attempting to discredit the threat is a first (and only rapidly available) response.)

6 Likes

The saga just keeps on going!

1 Like

That one was mercyless, haha. Hope Apple fixes that with the next MacBooks.

1 Like

Intel is very much dedicated to their campaign.

They should be dedicated to R&D, and fast.

1 Like

Very much so. And better than Intel at the high end - where it belongs.