Introducing More Power Users

Starting today, Stephen and I are premiering even more Mac Power Users. For all Relay FM Members that directly support Mac Power Users, we are upping the member benefits.

There is now a special dedicated feed for MPU members that includes ad-free episodes, as well as regular bonus segments, more focused on news or current happening in the Apple community. This is something we don’t get to do very often on MPU, and we’re excited to have these conversations together. We are calling this members version More Power Users, because you’re going to get more MPU.

If you are interested you can sign up here. One of the casualties of Covid-19 was a lot of podcast advertising budgets. Stephen and I both appreciate your support.

15 Likes

I’m very happy to see this.

As with Upgrade, connected & Cortex I’ve signed up. RelayFM has been there for me over the past 5+ years so I converted my old membership into 4 (so far) monthly ones. I know the annual ones are cheaper but hey you guys deserve more money :wink:

2 Likes

I am a “late comer” to Mac Power Users and David’s great field guides, and I jumped on this offer as soon as I heard! Happy to support this great podcast and Relay.fm.

1 Like

Thanks for years of great advice and suggestions. Happy to support the program for years to come.

I’m very glad to be able to support the show directly, and being able to listen to the show without the sponsor reads was a nice perk — not because the sponsors aren’t interesting, but I’m usually using most of them already.

One comment / piece of feedback: this week’s edit of “More Power Users” kept the “outro” riff after the sponsor break.

Not a huge deal, but I would much prefer if that wasn’t there. I almost always listen to the show with AirPods on, and I found it very jarring.

Listening to the conversation after that music break, I don’t think that the music needs to be there. The conversation flow would be just fine without it.

FWIW / IMO.

I’m all in!
20 characters blah blah blah

Sincere good luck with this - and I’ll probably sign up. But I’ll confess to having lost track of where I am with podcast memberships… :slight_smile:

getting it! …

Moving between segments without it was a little weird but we’ll keep an eye on it.

I’m in. (Need 20 chars)

1 Like

Huh. Well (again FWIW) to me it was just like the other ‘chapter breaks’ which happened without a sponsor break. I expect there to be those sorts of transitions.

I’ve been hoping for this for a long time. Thanks for putting this together. I look forward to the ad free experience!

1 Like

Who would have thought that in 2020 people would (happily) pay for 2 or 3 people chit chatting away for 90 minutes? #itsastrangeworld

Who would have thought that in 2020 people would (happily) pay for 2 or 3 people chit chatting away for 90 minutes? #itsastrangeworld

There’s much more to it than that. There’s a lot of prep work that goes into each episode. And there’s post-production work (including editing and adding chapter markers), hosting expenditures, equipment costs, and more. On top of that, David, Stephen, and their guests have a lot of very valuable and practical information to share based on many years of experience.

I get a lot of value from MPU and am more than happy to support this podcast financially.

5 Likes

If you compare it to other podcasts (many actually) I seriously doubt the amount of prep work going into this podcast. And not just this one, there are a lot of these nowadays, especially in the Apple world.
As an example of a podcast that really does take a lot of preparation: Trailblazers with Walter Isaacson. The difference is obvious I think.

Pay no attention to our massive folder of Google Docs. :wink:

6 Likes

If you compare it to other podcasts (many actually) I seriously doubt the amount of prep work going into this podcast. And not just this one, there are a lot of these nowadays, especially in the Apple world.

I’ve listened to a lot of Apple-related podcasts over the years and MPU is the gold standard in my book.

As an example of a podcast that really does take a lot of preparation: Trailblazers with Walter Isaacson. Can you see the difference?

I haven’t listened to Trailblazers, so I don’t have any comments on this one. It looks like it’s hosted by Dell, so I’m guessing they’re not reliant on sponsorship or membership income.

@ismh - Will there be a better defined art for the member podcast? I keep both in my podcast player, but only subscribe to the member one, but I have trouble differentiating between the member and nonmember feeds of MPU at a glance (in contrast to the dramatic difference between the other shows).