iOS 14 - Favorite features?

Search for me is also including shortcuts that are not on my home screen, too.

1 Like

Do the new audio switching features work? If so, how do you trigger them? Iā€™ve been rather curious to try that out.

These betas have been quite seamless for me thus far. I like the app library a lot and the widgets are nice, too.

Makes me feel like some sort of nitwit for all the time, money and effort I put into learning Spanish! LOL!

This was really helpful today, as I forgot to put my AirPods on the Qi charger.

2 Likes

I took a look to make sure it was not some setting I turned on, but canā€™t find anything that would make sense. The only thing I did is make sure both languages were downloaded to my device.

After some more time with the betas, I have come away with these observations.

1. I REALY like App Library a lot. Iā€™ve turned off all my home screen pages, except the first, and access everything (thatā€™s not on my main screen) from App Library. I do agree that the categories are arbitrary, but to be candid, Iā€™m glad itā€™s one less things I feel that I have to customize perfectly. With everything so easily visible from App Library, the categories are less critical. I can glance and find pretty much everything I need.

2. It is so very nice to have Scribble on iPadOS. It is just the thing I have needed for so long. Very happy with that addition.

3. Everything about shortcuts seems so much better than before, and I liked what we had already. The ability to have folders was a huge leap forward in terms of managing, finding, and accessing shortcuts. Simple thing I know, having folders. But it wasnā€™t there, now it is, and itā€™s great.

4. Stability is excellent. Other than the fact that I know iOS/iPadOS 14 have not been released yet, there are no other clues that would make me think Iā€™m working on a beta.

1 Like

Iā€™m just happy that Apple finally borrowed some of the better Android features. I had an ā€˜app libraryā€™ in Android a decade ago with list view, and I also had widgets. Also taken straight from Android: a stock translate app (albeit with fewer languages than Google currently has), emoji search (iOS finds ā€˜prayer handsā€™ but not the equally popular ā€˜high fiveā€™ definition for the same emoji), and the ability to set default email and browser apps.

Iā€™ve got my fingers crossed that Scribble makes it at least to the 6.7" iPhone model rumored to be coming at the end of the year.

1 Like
  • Ditto on App Library and scribble.
  • Shortcut seems pretty unstable to me but most of my shortcuts rely on Datajar, Toolbox pro and I donā€™t believe they have already verbatim updated to support IOS14 correctly , or am I wrong ?
  • Another item which may or may not be related to the my install base is that the new search is slow to bring up results, as in 2s latency, which is annoying as I use it as launcher for most stuff.
  • Finally side note note on IPadOS, but I cannot come to terms with a potential reason why App Library does not exister there, it feels very frustrating to have to sort my apps there while it is a chore of the past in IOS.
1 Like

Yes, I agree re: App Library on iPad. Hopefully if enough people submit feedback Apple will reconsider - should be trivial to port the code.

1 Like

Iā€™m seeing them sometimes, but not all the time. Seems that the betas are still a bit hit or miss with this.

Pinned messages. Looooove it.

3 Likes

Thanks for mentioning this feature. Now I just have to use it and remember it.

1 Like

Not a feature per se but I do love the fact that everything Iā€™ve tried has worked fine with no crashes or other issues to speak of. Pretty amazing how useable pb2 & pb3 have been.

3 Likes

I loaded 14 beta 3 on my iPhone X today ā€“ the phone was very hot when the process finished.

I have not installed this beta yet, but Iā€™m pretty sure I will enjoy proper encrypted DNS from NextDNS without the VPN icon.

Always hated the VPN icon showing up when there was no real VPN active.

Looks like in the final release of iOS14, some of the scripting in Shortcuts changed. I canā€™t use backtap to ā€œToggleā€ the flashlight anymore. Now, it appears to be two separate commands: one for ON, and one for OFF. Has anyone figured out how to get around this?

2 Likes

Mine still works. Just tested now.

I use Toggle Flashlight in Shortcuts. Thatā€™s just one command. You donā€™t need to create one for ON and one for OFF.

I love the App Library and immediately got rid of all but the most used apps and folders from my home screens. Iā€™d love to see this feature make its way over to iPadOS soon.

I also like the widgets a lot and appreciate the non-intrusive phone notifications. Both with App Library and widgets, Apple has done a great job of adding features for power users without forcing them on more casual users, who are likely to not even notice the changes. I think iOS 14 might be my favorite release in a while!

1 Like

Glad itā€™s not just me. 13.7 was very snappy, but the upgrade to iOS 14 has slowed things down considerably.

Data Jar has been updated for 14. Toolbox Proā€™s last update was a month ago.