IOS / iPadOS, Photos, Has A Mind of It’s Own?

Last night, I went to find a photo that I know that I saved, (actually several of the same subject), a couple years ago. I can not find it anywhere in iCloud, either by searching via my iPad, (scrolling one photo at a time), or through .com. I also noticed that quite a few of my photos have been reorganized into years that I absolutely did not take them in.

NOT feeling warm and fuzzy about Apple Photos right now. Anyone else seeing this happen?

Yes, I’ve got the same issue.
My foto library is totally messed up!

A lot of my pictures pre 2014 are now dated 24 October 2014, and I have no idea how to fix this

1 Like

It’s even worse: all my videos marked for that date are now 0 seconds long!

1 Like

I am quickly losing confidence in the Mothership. :confused:

I’ve been able to contain it for now. Have set aside a backup and removed all photo’s and videos of before that date, Will import them again once this is solved.

And have of course reported this to apple support and the beta team.

1 Like

I am not losing confidence in the Mothership, but I always am prepared for these types of teething pains by not immediately updating and not buying v.1 of any Apple hardware. I applaud all y’all who rush headlong into beta versions and first OS releases because you’re entering the landmine-salted field ahead of us, clearing the way. Point man takes the hit, and there’s always a point man out there - but remember, it doesn’t have to be you next time. :peace_symbol:

1 Like

bowline, I hear ya 100%, but I also respectfully disagree with that. Betas, yea. Everyone should know betas are buggy. OS updates, and security of all cloud based stored products, ESPECIALLY when the seller preaches so hard about security, naw, taking a hit from any supplier should not even play into the business model. Apple stands on a platform of “buy our products. They are built well, secure, and just work”. That platform has been broken for a few years now. It is obvious that they are more focused on getting “something” out the door to satisfy shareholders, rather than making sure that the “something” works first before shipping. Taking the hit is for beta users, not end users.

I actually am glad i did have a beta version installed on my (non main) mac. And no I did not use photo app on that. It at least let me file a bug report. Would not know what to do otherwise

1 Like

Fair enough, but I’m speaking from decades of experience with Mac updates going back to the Mac Plus in 1986. I never jump on initial releases, I never recommend others do, and I always see people frustrated when they do that jump.

1 Like

HA! I agree. I started working in I.T. with Windows 95, I don’t remember which Server Software, Netscape, and Novelle. Got out mid 2000 and sum ‘em. I agree, don’t jump as soon as the gate opens.

1 Like

I had to send out warning emails to my family members (mostly newbies) not to update yet, and a couple did anyway and are having small issues.

Apple is making it difficult to avoid upgrading. Yesterday I unlocked my iPhone, got a screen telling me the phone was going to be upgraded while connected overnight, made me enter my password on the keypad… and the only thing stopping it was that I refused to agree to the ToS page that then popped up. (And I have automatic updates turned off!). And I’ve got an annoying little red “1” staring at me in my Mac’s Software Update now.

With one exception (last year’s macOS release) I’ve usually waited until the x.3 release before upgrading, even if that meant waiting 4-6 months after the OS came out. Generally speaking, it’s been a solid policy and has let straggler apps (most especially music-creation apps) make themselves compatible with the new release.

1 Like

Good idea about bailing out at the agreement. I hadn’t thought of that.

Yep, I have sat in the server room a many-of-nights making SURE Windows did not update anything during our weekly maintenance routine. We had one Mac, and all of us, (rightfully so), claimed ignorance when it came to that “fruit basket” as we called it.

I foresee most all systems/apps/etc, going to auto updates in the near future, if for no other reason than liability concerns.

1 Like

A quick aside on the prompt to upgrade I saw this happen not on my phone, but to the device used by BBC News presenter as they attempted to market the BBC News App. Someone really should put the device into Do Not Disturb before using it on live TV. The presenter briefly found herself in the Settings app as attempted to close the pop-up.

2 Likes

THAT would be embarrassing!

1 Like