iOS Software Keyboards — What Do You Use

I used to use multiple keyboards (in particular because I frequently needed to type in Portuguese) but it’s always been a pain switching between keyboards. The iPhone will try to predict which keyboard you want to use next and simply switch back and forth between them, instead of just cycling evenly between all your keyboards. I guess that’s nice for people that don’t switch keyboards often, but personally I’d much rather develop the muscle memory to cycle evenly through my keyboards than have iOS incorrectly predict which keyboard I want next.

So now, I just use the regular stock Apple keyboard with the Emoji keyboard.

@RichardC PadKey looks interesting! Can you please post a screenshot of the current keyboard layout?

(I see several weird/different layouts on the App Store)

I use Padkeys most of the time. It does require accurate sliding. Gboard is more forgiving. There are several color options for PadKeys.

1 Like

Thanks!

So it resembles my physical Apple keyboards, but some keys are at an entirely different location.

While €5,49 is not that much, this is one of those times I wish one could trial Apps before purchasing…

Padkeys layout works for me using mark down apps. It works if I’m sitting in the garden. It works…

In the past i read long novels and wrote papers on an ancient iTouch. But the Atlantic Ocean was crossed in an amphibious jeep. Proves it can be done not that is a good idea.

If i have a table my Logitech K811 keyboard is my tool of choice. I use a messenger bag. Transport is not a problem.

Well. still doesn’t appear on my iPP 12.9" in Notes – do you have the 10.5"?
Curiouser and curiouser!

Certainly appears on the 9.5" iPad Pro. The 12.9" does have a ‘full-size’ keyboard so I can see this being a reason for the difference.

1 Like

Yes, 10.5 inch. Odd.

I use the stock keyboard on my iPhone, and I can type actually pretty quickly on it. On iPad, I’m much slower with the stock keyboard than I am even on iPhone, nothing to say about hardware keyboards. I think I’m gonna have to try Padkeys for my iPad after browsing through this thread.

Finally bought it (with the intention to replace Swype), but to be honest I almost immediately regretted it…

Typing via swiping hardly works at all with this keyboard. Often it does not recognize a single word and several times it crashed while swiping; eventually returning to the default iOS keyboard.

I will contact the author about this first, but I’m considering asking Apple for a refund.

For those that already were using it: is this specific for this version or a generic problem of this keyboard?

I use WordFlow but it’s sadly no longer available (from Microsoft Labs).

I also keep the stock kiSwahili keyboard on, not because I do any typing in Swahili but b/c it’s the standard Apple keyboard with no autocorrect. (I do know enough Swahili to know it doesn’t correct obvious typos…). Hence it’s useful for other African languages.

Aside: the 0-9 keypad typing on my pre-iPhone South African Nokia in isiXhosa and isiZulu had better autocorrect & prediction than any phone I’ve used since. (Presumably it’s related to the consonant-vowel structure of the languages).

Additional question for anyone running Swype on iOS 12 Beta (iPhone): does it still work?

(We won’t get an update since Nuance has put it in the parking lot)

Sorry PadKeys don’t work for you. Keyboard selection is a pain.

I.wish combined features

• stock — moving and splitting the keyboard — cursor moves with two finger slide

• Google speedy accurate swipe

• PadKeys keyboard layout plus useful long press keys

Unfortunately I don’t want any Google software on my devices.

And definitely not a keyboard made by them…

1 Like

I use the Stock keyboard as my primary keyboard, though I go through long periods where I get tempted by Gboard’s support for swiping, and I use that instead.

I also used the Copied keyboard for clipboard memory, and TextEpander for snippet expansion.

Big difference between Android and iOS: Android lets you change your default keyboard easily. It’s trickier on iOS, but iOS makes it easier to switch through different keyboards on the fly, for different purposes. Or at least that was the case last time I used Android, which was a few years ago.