I’m a graphic designer for the most part of my career and shifted to UX Design recently since my RSI (Repetitive Strain Injury) has gotten worse over the years. That means, it’s hard for me to do my job as a graphic designer as I used to and work longer hours.
When I got an iPad Pro 12.9 (2017 edition) with an Apple Pencil, I slowly started neglecting my personal MacBook Pro at home that I used for my personal projects and does most of the stuff on my iPad Pro. I only transfer to my Mac when I need to do some long-form typing otherwise, the iPad Pro is my first choice. I even did some of the design work first on the iPad Pro before transferring on the Mac to finish it off. The iPad pro gave me the freedom I need from RSI. I found my 2015 MacBook Pro aging and unused so I sold it so I can buy the latest iPad Pro 12.9 (2018) with the Apple iPad keyboard and new Apple Pencil. I upgraded with the latest iPad Pro because of the Apple Pencil charging feature. I always find myself having to charge my Apple Pencil when I needed it the most. Now it’s always charge and accessible.
What delights me:
• Lightweight and easy to carry. I also find this cheaper than my old set-up of buying a MacBook Pro and a Wacom tablet. I can just carry the iPad Pro with the Apple Pencil and work anywhere I want.
• I find it much more ergonomic to draw and annotate with the Apple Pencil than using a Wacom tablet.
• It lets me focus on work rather than multi-window set up on the Mac.
• Editing images, voice recording, and video is faster than on a Mac.
• Battery life is also superb. Pair it with a USB-C charger it charges faster and I can just plug it in with a power bank.
• The FaceID is a really big upgrade to the iPad Pro. I didn’t think it’s one of the biggest features that I would love with the new device.
• I love taking down notes writing down than type it down. This replaced a physical notebook for me.
What disappoints me
• The Files app really needs more feature. It’s hard to search for files. I really love how it organizes my files but doing a task such as renaming or moving files is a nuisance.
• No easy way to download files. I have to use a 3rd-party browser to do this.
• With so much power, mobile Safari is holding it back. Why can’t I use modern web apps? The iPad Pro would have been nice if I can work on Figma on Safari.
• no backlight keyboard on the Apple iPad keyboard.
• I wish the iOS 13 would let us use a secondary monitor for other apps rather than just for mirroring. Sometimes I need more screen space when working.
• Shortcuts is no Hazel. I wish I can just easily automate some task.
• Shocking news for me. I thought I can reliably work on websites on Squarespace with just my iPad Pro. I had to take home my work Mac to be able to reliably work on Squarespace. Posting is easy but not modifying your website.