iPad Magic Keyboard Alternatives?

I have an iPad Pro for which I bought Apple’s Magic Keyboard.

It works fine if/when I want to type on it. But I would sometimes like to flip the cover a full 180 degrees and just use it like an iPad without having to physically take the iPad out of the keyboard’s case.

I am surprised Apple’s keyboard/case does not rotate around like this. Are there alternatives which do so?

I have this one and have been happy with it. Keyboard attaches by magnet. You can separate the keyboard from the iPad. You can attach the keyboard to the back in iPad “mode” but this makes iPad heavy.

This is a photo of the back of the iPad with keyboard detached.

This is a photo of the back of the iPad with the keyboard flipped and attached to the back.

Again, this keyboard works great for me. YMMV. Looks like Logi is having a sale. Let me know if you have any questions. :grinning:

EDITED: Replaced second photo with the correct one. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

I had this one for my older iPadPro and it was pretty good.

1 Like

+1 for LCT.

I’ve been using LCT for the past year with the 12.9” iPad Pro as the iPad is currently my primary productivity device (I bought LCT 2 years ago along with the 5th gen iPad Pro, but have not used it much during the first year).

Except for some wear and tear, it has held up pretty well, and while the iPad becomes rather heavy with the keyboard attached, it also remains well-protected when out and about. The kickstand admittedly requires a bit more desk space and is not ideal for working on the lap.

As for wear and tear, the first gen LCT for the 5th gen 12.9” iPad Pro apparently has had issues with the rubberised parts of the case flexing a bit around the speakers, but this seems to have been fixed on the current gen as the cutouts are designed differently (they cover the speakers now – similar to how Apple’s silicone cases for the iPhone are designed around the speaker area on the bottom of the device – and are no longer just the cutouts).

One year of (very) active use later, there are also a couple of keys where the top grey layer of finish has worn off but this doesn’t bother me much. On a more positive note, the material has proven itself to be quite durable, it’s easy to clean (but essentially requires no cleaning as it does not pick up any dirt) and does not show any fingerprints, stains or smudges when compared with Apple’s MK and SKF finish.

Other than that, and especially given the price difference and the added features vs the Magic Keyboard (function keys, detachable keyboard, durable material, added protection), I’d buy it again.

2 Likes

Agreed, the Logitech Combo Touch is an excellent choice. As pointed out it is heavy but it’s nice to have that extra protection and being able to separate the keyboard comes in handy when I don’t need to type. Also, while it does make it harder to use in the lap I’ve found various ways around that. As I type this sitting in a lounge type chair outside I have my knees drawn up and the kickstand is holding the iPad up over my knees and the keyboard is comfortable to type on in a sort of downward angle. Often times when reclining on a couch I’ll just use a couple pillows in my lap and the LCT works great on there. So, it can actually work pretty well with just a bit of creative positioning.

2 Likes

+1 for the Logi Combo touch from me. I have exactly the same model. The most annoying thing is the edges around the speakers become loose and look rubbish, but from a functionality perspective it’s great and other than the above, after over a year it still looks in great shape.

1 Like

Re: the edges, I’ve seen somewhere an image where this has apparently been fixed on latest-gen LCT by different style of cutouts (basically there are no cutouts but only speaker holes on the edges), but I’m unable to find that image again and the images on the Logitech website still show the cutouts as they were on the previous version…

Much appreciated to you and others here

1 Like