IPad Mini or Paperwhite for READING?

I always read digital books unless there is no option. As a result, I have hundreds of books in my Kindle app and I extensively highlight and add notes to my books. My highlights and notes are subsequently downloaded to my Obsidian vault using Bookcision. I have a 12.9 iPad but it is not ideal for reading. This thread got me to thinking, for reading purposes, should I get an iPad mini or an Amazon Paperwhite? The cost will not be a deciding factor.

If you have used both, which would you recommend for reading and annotating books and why?

1 Like

I read on both a Paperwhite and my iPP, but prefer the Kindle. Itā€™s much lighter and distraction free. When I read on my iPad Pro I turn off WiFi and set do not disturb but am still tempted to check messages etc. ā€œjust for a minuteā€

6 Likes

Part of why I went iPad was to read comics. If I was only interested in books Iā€™d have gone towards a Kindle.

3 Likes

I canā€™t weigh-in because Iā€™ve never owned a Kindle, but I am considering one for my daughter so Iā€™m watching this thread closely.

@Bmosbacker : If you do decide to purchase the Paperwhite, you may want to delay your purchase until Amazon Prime Day on July 12th/13th.

1 Like

I have set up one of my Mini2 as a "Read-Only"Device. So I deleted everything else, and have only Instapaper, Kindle and iBooks remaining.
I would always prefer an iPad over an Kindle, because, while I also use KindleUnlimited, I own a lot of books (read last year almost 300) also on my iBooks, because if I have to buy a book I trust Apple over Amazon.

2 Likes

I use both. Which one I use depends on what the book is.

If itā€™s a book that Iā€™ll be teaching (or for some other reason taking extensive notes on and making annotations in), I use the iPad Mini. While highlighting and annotating can be done on a Kindle, itā€™s much easier on the iPad. I use Readwise, and I make a lot of use of their outline feature.

For all other books, I use the Kindle. There are fewer distractions, and itā€™s lighter and thus easier to hold. Itā€™s also easier on the eyes when reading for longer periods of time (or before bed, which I often do).

The current Paperwhite, by the way, is an excellent device. Last fall I traded in my previous-gen Oasis for the base model Paperwhite, and I couldnā€™t be happier.

4 Likes

I have both and since getting the iPad Mini the Kindle has been gathering dust. This is mainly because I find highlighting much easier on the iPad (with Apple Pencil) and the mini is so light and compact that it takes away all the advantages of the Kindle.

5 Likes

Even though I donā€™t own any of the mentioned devices (Kindle and iPad Mini), Iā€™ve wondered about this question for a long time. From what Iā€™ve read over and over again across forums is that the kindle offers a very superior reading experience. However, as soon as you want to do something with the text (even something as simple as highlighting), the iPad is better.

3 Likes

This is helpful to hear as I wait for my iPad Air to arrive and stare at my Apple Pencil!

1 Like

This is absolutely true. I have a a Paperwhite and the reading experience is much better (they call it paperwhite for a reason :slight_smile: ). I use the paperwhite for all fiction I read because I donā€™t highlight anything on it. For non-fiction or technical books, I tend to buy a hard copy to ā€œmark up,ā€ although I do use the iPad to mark up user manuals by highlighting things. The Paerwhite is very light. I think probably lighter than an iPad mini, but I donā€™t know that for sure. The Paperwhite also does very well in sunlight.

3 Likes

This is important to me because I highlight a lot.

2 Likes

Iā€™ll be honest, nothing can beat an eInk screen for reading. Reading in daylight is amazing. Having the light for evening is great. I have an Oasis and love it. You can certainly highlight things on the Kindle. There is just the typical delay of an eInk screen. Press and hold and it takes part of a second to select. Then slide the slider and you are good to go.

For avid readers I recommend a Kindle. You can always pick it up on your phone if you are out and about and a moment to read pops up.

6 Likes

Neither.
I would recommend a Remarkable 2.
Larger, book-sized form factor.
Paper-like texture that interacts well with the pen. (I got the one with an eraser.)
Itā€™s also a distraction free environment. No internet browser, email, things going ā€˜ding!ā€™ to distract you away.
Only potential drawback is the highlighted PDFs are exported with highlighted text, rather than annotations that can be extracted. This doesnā€™t matter to be, as I go back and read my highlights, then type them in my notes in my own words.

It is appropriately named, it is Remarkable, and the most paper-like experience Iā€™ve had. (But better, as there are thousands of pages in it.)

2 Likes

But this is the same you can do with your iBooks, or almost any other reader(app).

Interesting. I have a Kindle Oasis and I highlight daily. I find it very easy.

3 Likes

True, but those other apps (except for Nook, and possibly Kobo ā€” not sure if Kobo has an app) donā€™t have e-ink options.

They donā€™t need ā€œe-ink optionsā€ if they are not running on a E-Ink-Deviceā€¦ :wink:

1 Like

True. @HobbyCollector was recommending e-ink, though. :grin:

That said, I love being able to read on my phone if Iā€™m out and about, stuck in a long checkout line, etc. :+1:

1 Like

Yes, this is one of the best functions of an Smartphone!
I love reading, but I had always the problem, eighter to have no time, or to have enough time, away from my book.
With the iPhone I have my books always with me, so I read around 300 last yearā€¦

I prefer reading on the iPhone (Pro Max) - less text on the screen at once helps me focus. However, if reading comics or books I need to highlight / take notes, the iPad and Pencil are perfect.

1 Like