IPad Mini or Paperwhite for READING?

I use both, most of what I read is non fiction. If the book has charts, I use the mini. Otherwise, I use the Kindle.

4 Likes

I read all of my digital books on the Kindle. I read mostly at night and while in bed. I like the fact that I can change the light mode to red with black mode so itā€™s a black background with red print.

Itā€™s perfect because the light doesnā€™t bother my husband and Iā€™m not staring at blue light just before I want to sleep.

2 Likes

I have been using Kindles for several years. I donā€™t have an iPad mini, only a standard-sized one, but decided against getting a mini even though I prefer the iPadā€™s responsiveness and ease of notetaking and navigation, for a simple reason: I donā€™t feel the need to protect a Kindle as much as I do an iPad.

A Kindle is less expensive, lighter, and in my experience, less likely to suffer damage due to a modest fall. Itā€™s not as appealing a target for a thief. And the consequences of losing a Kindle are also not dramatic - while someone could see or read my library, I donā€™t need to worry about someone getting into my email, seeing my messages, etc. (Even if they buy books on my Amazon account, they can be easily returned within a week.)

So even though I find some aspects of the Kindle frustrating, ultimately I find it to be a far better value for leisure reading - just like the best camera is the one you have with you, for me the best reading device is the one that I can take anywhere without worrying about whether I should have left it home.

4 Likes

Another vote for both here. I read on the iPad mini but mostly with reading apps and occasionally the Kindle app when I donā€™t have my Paperwhite nearby. But when it comes to some hardcore reading, the Kindle is by far superior for not just my eyes but also from distractions. Itā€™s just for reading and it excels at that. With the iPad Mini, I feel like Iā€™ll check other apps or do other things. Also the Paperwhite just feels so great in the hands and very sturdy. I have the newest version and Iā€™ve taken to the pool and beach and never felt like I had to baby it. If I took my iPad mini, Iā€™d constantly worry about it.

Also, Iā€™m loving the Matter app and sending long form articles to my Kindle Paperwhite for reading. Itā€™s super fast and such a great feature. I donā€™t think there is a better time to be an avid reader when it comes to technology.

2 Likes

iPad for me no question. Not only do I highlight, but I actually use multiple colors and like to take inline notes.

If you just want to read/consume then kindle is great because itā€™s so lightweight, but interacting with text is a level of magnitude easier on iPad glass.

1 Like

If cost is not a deciding factor, I would say ā€œboth.ā€ I have been going back and forth between iPads and Kindles for more than a decade now, so this is definitely something I consider pertinent as someone who reads a lot and for different purposes (personally and professionally [academic]). The strength of the Kindle, for my ā€˜context,ā€™ is that itā€™s distraction free, the text looks great if you read outside, and the battery lasts forever. And since I bike or walk everywhere, Iā€™ll also mention that it weighs hardly anything.

I read texts in Instapaper, PDFs (usually via DEVONthink or PDF Expert, FWIW), and magazines/newspapers I have access to via iPad. I switched over to an iPad for book reading as well for a while, as I liked the multiple color highlights. When I started using Readwise, I discovered that tags like ā€œblueā€ (or .b) produce colors in Readwise, which encouraged me to switch back to the Kindle as I find it a better reading experience for books overall. I do lots of highlighting, notetaking, and exporting of those notes, and Readwise has really made doing these actions easy and efficient from a Kindle, not to mention other devices, and has thus changed my reading habits. Also, as @acavender mentioned, the most recent generation of the Kindle Paperwhite (2021) is really nice.

1 Like

iPad hands down. I put my paperwhite on loan to a friend with similar taste in books because itā€™s not as easy to do the annotations on it. I do prefer it for reading in bright sunlight but for work I prefer the iPad.

I donā€™t have an iPad Mini but do have a Kindle Fire and a Paperwhite. In my case for reading novels the Paperwhite is a hands-down winner for light weight, battery life, and usability in any lighting condition. When Iā€™m at my desk, I use the Kindle app on my iMac. I bought the Kindle Fire out of curiosity. I can only imagine using it if I needed portability and had a book with color. Iā€™d probably think the same about a iPad Mini.

I love using my iPad mini for reading with the Kindle App. I too outline all the time and now that I found that I can export all the notes to Evernote where I store notes for each book I read. The link to do this is : Amazon Sign-In. I can do the same with Apple Books, but given the choice I almost always use Kindle and then export to entire book notes to Evernote.

The thing I would love to do on the kindle is doodle notes in the margin. I love seeing the notes more effective than creating a note then I have to click on the tab. Hope that helps.

I buy my books on Kindle, convert them to A4 PDFs and read and annotate on my ipad. Although reading is nice on the Kindle, I prefer to have my library as PDFs, itā€™s more versatile.

You can read PDFs on the Kindle.

Not done that. I donā€™t read on the kindle as I need a more feature rich mark up facility.

2 Likes

Iā€™m rethinking this as Iā€™m about to embark on an MA and have received a fairly extensive reading list!

One factor that I donā€™t think that has been mentioned yet is that I find I can concentrate longer in reading on the Kindle than the iPad. I donā€™t know if this is to do with backlit screens, but a few years ago when I had a heavier reading load I noticed I could do 2 hours straight on the Kindle with fairly in depth non-fiction books, but on the iPad I was flagging after 40 min. Perhaps it is just me, but if you are going to read a lot that may be an important consideration.

Thanks everyone for the excellent input. Iā€™ll be reviewing this thread again and giving this careful thought before I spend money. Much appreciated!

1 Like

Remember itā€™s Amazon prime day and Kindleā€™s are discounted for today and tomorrow.

1 Like

You should not tell me these things. It is too tempting to spend money.:joy:

1 Like

If you give into temptation, Iā€™d recommend the Paperwhite Kids. It comes without ads (usually $20 to remove), and includes an extended warranty and a case. The device itself is just an ordinary Paperwhite.

Right now it looks like the Robot Dreams case is the only one available to ship, and itā€™s pretty juvenile. But if you think the device needs a case, there are very reasonable third-party options available.

Thanks, if I decide to spring for the paperwhite that is a good, creative, solution!

Iā€™ve purchased the Kindle Oasis with 32gb memory, wifi only. I know in the next 3 years Iā€™ll have to load on a lot of hefty theology books. I also wanted a bigger screen as for my eyes the smaller paperwhiteā€™s are a little too small.

They are indeed hefty. You may want to consider Logos.

1 Like