iPad not a Mac replacement

Apple seems to be playing both sides of the argument, encouraging people to use the iPad as a laptop replacement, while expressing concerns about the ergonomics of doing so, as an argument against touchscreen laptops.

“We really feel that the ergonomics of using a Mac are that your hands are rested on a surface, and that lifting your arm up to poke a screen is a pretty fatiguing thing to do,” Craig Federighi, Apple senior vice president of software engineering, said in an interview with Wired.

ref: Apple Won't Be Making a Mac With a Touchscreen | Digital Trends

Some people who use laptops for specific tasks could use an iPad as replacement. Can’t see how I could use an iPad as a developer and I don’t think apple has any illusions about that. Also, he is right. Laptops have a different form factor so it is very difficult to place a screen in an ergonomic position for touch input so the keyboard would not get in your way.

One could think about a convertible, but they are bulky, not really portable and would still require a separate ui in the « tablet » mode.

1 Like

When I was iPad only I used a standing desk and an apple keyboard. This kept me from having my head looking down but caused some “gorilla arm”.

It all depends on what you do. I am mostly in MS Office, a web browser and email, all day every day. Also using the great writing tools like Ulysses, MindNode etc. I could easily go iPad only, if not for corporate policy.

Touchscreen on the Mac would be a challenge due to the small UI targets that are fine for a mouse / trackpad, but less precise with your finger.

1 Like