iPad Screen Cover for better Apple Pencil Feel

I’ve used the original Paperlike 1 on iPad Pro (2018) and really, really, really loved it, but people online complained about the visual moiree distortions and said the Japanese matte thing was identical but without visuals. Took off the Paperlike 1 and put on the Japanese, much more soft surface, too much resistance. The result was I ended up almost never using the iPad again, just like all my previous iPads.
When I got the Paperlike 2, I put it on and again some very strange sense of joy came back and I used it a lot again. For writing, doodling, drawing as part of my part-time plant science studies. I loved it and used the iPad Pro constantly. When iPad Pro 12.9 (2020) with the Lidar was released, I jumped ship and got a version with Cellular and more storage, but i broke the spare Paperlike 2 that I was sent, its difficult to get right. I still have the “old” iPad with Paperlike2 as SO don’t use it much, and so I’ve reinstalled it to my Apple ID, and set “do not disturb” to go from 0:00 to 0:00. All notifications off. With iPadOS beta, with “scribble”, which is fantastic albeit not yet in my native language, I only use Notability, Procreate and a few mind map apps. I’m really amazed about what difference the Paperlike (or similar to same effect, if you have different preferences) has to the pure joy of drawing on a computer. Notability has an incredibly fast and responsive drawing UI, I zoom all the way in and write with size 0 and size 1. I hate the fact there is no undo with two-finger tap in that app, and I’m currently actually working on a setup integrating an ODROID N2 single board computer, a large li-ion battery bank, the Apple HDMI adapters and an SSD, where one of the USB ports on the N2 emulate a keyboard as seen from the iPadOS, which then is routed to a small interface with buttons and a wheel that will be located on the left hand side on the iPad where I usually have my left hand. These are just regular electronics components soldered together and connected to the GPIO accessible pins on the N2, which triggers configurable “macros” in Notability and Procreate. That device isn’t quite ready yet, my ambitions are growing as I work on this project. “Feature creep!” :smile:
Oh, and for other iPad Pro geeks - be sure to test out and spend some time to configure “Voice Control”, just make sure to use a headset, preferably wireless, I use the standard Apple AirPods. Together with Siri Shortcuts, Voice Control and the Pencil, the crazy responsiveness of the iPad Pro and the screen … this is a game changing computer. Can’t wait for Xcode to finally be ported over.

Just jumped on to say that I recently bought the Moshi for my 2020 12.9” Pro and yes, it really is amazing. Gives a whole new feel to pencil use and the matte finish looks great and cuts down on glare. I couldn’t go back now.

1 Like

As an update to my original post, I bought the iCarez protector and am very happy I did! It was relatively inexpensive ($11.95 on Amazon) and was everything I was looking for. It has really improved the writing experience on an iPad with an Apple Pencil. If you have thought about going this route, I think this is a great option.

1 Like

Here’s a product that promises to improve the ‘writing on glass’ experience.
I haven’t tried it, as I have a PaperLike screen protector (and my pencil is always run down).
(They also have a great URL.)