iPad Speaker for Hearing Loss?

My father-in-law has cochlear implants. We chat with him and the family every weekend on FaceTime. Do you know of any external speakers that, ideally, plug into the iPad (Bluetooth would probably befuddle him) and are extra loud, or even particularly made for seniors/folks with hearing loss?

Would a pair of headphones work – the extra-loud type made for hearing-impaired persons? A USB-C to 3.5 mm headphone jack is not very expensive, nor are the headphones.

Hmmm, I don’t think the ears “hear” anymore after cochlear implants, but I’ll do a little research.

There’s a lot of nuance here, including where the microphone(s) are on the external part of the implant device. E.g. in the ear, at the top of the ear, etc. You might need the make and model of his device(s) to know for sure. This resource might be helpful:

This is so helpful !

An alternative way or additional way: if you have a laptop with Chrome, they can use FaceTime, with the plus that Chrome supports automatic subtitles.

Or any Android phone now also has that feature as well. They could place it near the iPad to picukup the sound and get automatic transcription