iPhone 15 - CarPlay Issues?

Heard on the interwebs that some people are having issues with wired CarPlay and iPhone 15. Those of you that have an iPhone 15 and use wired CarPlay, can you check and report your experience? What cable are you using? I have USB-A in my Honda Ridgeline, so will need USB-A to USB-C cable - one that allows data transfer (not all do). Any help is appreciated. Take delivery of new iPhone in about a week. Can’t be without CarPlay.

I have a 2017 Civic with USB-A and CarPlay. My iPhone 15 Pro works fine with the A to C cable that I bought from Amazon (UGREEN 1m, with a 90 degree bend in C connector): https://www.amazon.ca/UGREEN-Charging-Braided-Samsung-Controller/dp/B08RMFTGHZ/ref=sr_1_5?crid=29K7PSOHKDJA2&keywords=ugreen%2Busb%2Bc%2Bcable%2B90%2Bdegree%2Busb%2B3.0&qid=1696093744&sprefix=UGREEN%2Busb%2Bc%2Bto%2Ba%2Bcable%2B90%2B%2Caps%2C197&sr=8-5&th=1

1 Like

I have a 2019 Mazda CX-5 with USB-A and CarPlay. My iPhone 15 Pro Max seems to work well with the braided Anker A-to-C charging cable I picked up for this purpose.

1 Like

So this is interesting to me. I can say that I currently have no issues with CarPlay–everything works as I would expect it to work, and I’ve been pleasantly surprised by the minor little tweaks with this release. My current setup is a iPhone 15 Pro plugged in to my 2019 VW Golf through the USB port the car provides for that purpose. I didn’t have a spare USB-A to USB-C cable, so I literally took the cable that came with my MX Keys Mini keyboard that I bought for work and use that in the car, as it is a USB-A to USB-C cable. All seems well.

However.

My old phone was an iPhone 11, and at the time I picked up a 4" USB-A to Lightning connector from Amazon because it was a super short cable and then everything fit in the dashboard compartment neatly with no wires showing. Pretty sweet setup.

Since I didn’t have those cables for the new phone, I needed a solution, so based on a recommendation from this site (I looked, and couldn’t find it again, sorry), I picked up these from Amazon, and a short cable to go with. I figured this would solve the problem of my having no USB-C connector on the car.

I took delivery of these things this evening, after driving around this afternoon with the latest episode of ATP on. In the episode, the guys discussed some perils with dongles and the like ( Episode 554-Is This Your Dog - time stamp around 25:22 ). To be honest, I’m now a little freaked out about even trying to use these cables because I’m not at all sure if there’s going to be some kind of issue with having the ‘wrong’ cables drawing power in unexpected ways from the unsupported dongles that convert things. I thought this wasn’t an issue, but now I’m not sure.

So I guess the moral of the story is, I need to do the homework still. If anyone knows of a good MFI short USB-A to USB-C cable that won’t cross wires somehow, please let me in on it.

Thanks for posting the link to the ATP episode. They also mention some usb-c cables not fitting into an iPhone 15 that is in a case. I have had that problem with the case on my iPad. Happens with some 3rd party usb-c cables. The hole in the case is not large enough to receive the plastic around the actual plug - prevents a good connection. Not a problem with Apple cables but, as far as I know, Apple does not make a usb-a to usb-c cable.

1 Like

Well, FWIW, the Logitech one that came with my keyboard seems to work without issue. It’s only been a week, but in that time I’ve noticed nothing awry. It all works, there’s no heat issues I’ve noticed and it charges. But, that’s an expensive way to get a USB cable (although I can happily recommend the MX Keys mini if you have a situation wherein you need to use a Windows PC–they’re very good keyboards). :slightly_smiling_face: As far as cases go, this year because Apple stopped making leather ones, I decided to go with third party, and after some research I went with this one from Smartish. Again, it’s only been a week, but so far I gotta say it’s one of the best cases I’ve used. I never ran into a situation where the plug didn’t seat well, and it fits the phone right down to the fraction of a millimetre. They’ve got the tolerances in fit to an art form. And the case is a very satisfyingly grippy material somewhere between plastic and rubber. It’s got zero scent (if that matters) and the back is satin-y and it’s quite attractive, and relatively inexpensive to boot. Based on my short time with it, I highly recommend. The only thing I haven’t tried yet is the MagSafe connection, as I haven’t yet found a MagSafe stand that blows my hair back.

I picked up the following for use with wired CarPlay.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B083V22Q63

They work fine but are a little short for my liking. The Lightning cable I use is closer to .5m which was just about right for my car’s layout.

Thanks to all for the recommendations - glad to hear that there are good solutions.
@machei I think my wife might like one of the smartish cases. :grinning:

1 Like