iPhone RAW File? HEIC? or Hallide

I appreciate the concern. I’m not worried that you can find my home address. I run small business from my home: https://agilepainrelief.com the internet already knows where I live.

If you come to Ottawa, say hi.

It’s funny what you don’t think to mention, I had forgotten ProRAW is a different beast 12+ yrs of shooting RAW files, I just assume they’re all sensor data. Of course Apple has a curve ball.

Apple’s solution makes sense. Sometimes a photo needs just a bit of correction and starting all over from “basic” RAW would be just a time waste. It’s just a little impractical in daily usage. I think it should be approached similarly to Live Photos. Don’t have it turned on always, but before taking a photo try to make a prediction if you’re going to need those extra capabilities. Probably the most sensible solution considering how large ProRAW pictures are.

Update: seems I just wasn’t doing it right. Two important things I’ve recently learnt about the iPhone’s RAW file:

1. Apply the correct color profile - Apple ProRaw. This is vital to get the right colors in Bridge or Lightroom.
  2. The lens correction profile may need to be set manually. For some reason, the current versions of Bridge and Lightroom seems not to reliably identify which lens was used.

In Photos, you need to “Export unmodified originals” in order to get the DNG file out, along with the sidecar file.

A bit fiddly, but once you get the workflow down, it’s actually quite amazing what you can do with that DNG. You will be able to pull more detail out of the shadows and reduce blown highlights to a much higher degree than in the HEIC itself. We now enjoy all the benefits of working with a DNG file.

Additionally, the new “Super Resolution” processing that is only available for RAW files can now effectively double the resolution of your photo using the full dynamic range and info contained in the file.

I enabled the RAW toggle in the camera app so I can quickly decide if I am in a situation where shooting RAW may be the best option.

You can also bypass Photos altogether by using Apple’s Image Capture app to import the ProRaw/Raw/HEIC files on your phone directly into a Finder folder or Lightroom or wherever you keep your photos.

If you don’t use Photos for anything other than importing image files from your phone that will eventually end up elsewhere, this saves you a step.

(Photos is where I put photos I want to look at, share, or show off on my phone. It’s my 21st century version of a slide carousel …)

1 Like