iPhone SE announced, iPad Magic Keyboard ready to order

How easy is it to get on and off quickly?

That’s one of the things I really like about the Smart Keyboard Folio — when I want to use the iPad in tablet mode for more than just a few minutes, I can have it out of the Folio in about two seconds.

That keyboard and trackpad sure look nice, though…

It’s a little harder to be fair. So far the best way I’ve found is to open the thing all the way, that way you can take the iPad easily off from where it sticks out. But I prefer the harder magnets to prevent the iPad from falling. It’s not as immediate as with the folio though. But I’m happy with the compromise in exchange for the trackpad which feels incredibly natural in a few seconds. I was skeptical at first but upon using a pointer with iPadOS, man, this feels SO right.

Another excellent surprise, it feels awesome on your lap as well - much better than the folio.

2 Likes

Good to know — thanks!

1 Like

I bought an iPhone 8 a year and a half ago (I find the newer phones too big to use single-handed) so the SE didn’t seem interesting to me. However, it sounds like the SE might be able to read NFC tags, which is one feature I miss having. Not sure it’s worth $400+ just to get the tag scanning though.

2 Likes

Gruber’s review of the Magic Keyboard was a great read:

As ever, Gruber is grounded and critical, balancing a good perspective on how the average person will interact with this device with a long view of what it means for the iPad’s design philosophy. The first four paragraphs are telling of what most users will probably feel about the product. Ultimately, though, he loves it:

[I]t’s an outright pleasure— a combination I might choose for long-form writing simply because it’s great.

4 Likes

Yes, I think he nailed it and everybody feeling put off by the strength of the magnets (they are strong, make no mistake) should read this: I went through the exact same journey (… albeit in 15 seconds rather than 15 minutes :grin:)

1 Like

I just spent the afternoon completing a chapter for my next research paper on the new keyboard.

Having the trackpad and keyboard under the screen is awesome, and turns editing text from a difficult and awkward chore with the touchscreen or external trackpad into a wonderfully fluid experience. The keys are just as stable as my 16” MacBook and feel 100% better than the folio, and it is much more comfortable than using an external keyboard and trackpad. I’m already finding it comes naturally reaching for the trackpad all the time rather than the screen, the muscle reflex from years of laptop use makes more sense and is just made for text editing.

The fact that a beautiful pane of glass is floating above the keyboard makes writing and focusing an absolute pleasure, this will be my preferred way to write from now on. My MacBook Pro will be in clamshell mode much more.

Apple has finally made the iPad a viable laptop replacement for writers, which is better for this task than anything else before.

5 Likes

Speaking as a member of the older demographic I wouldn’t want an iDevice without touch ID and I don’t want one with facial recognition or wouldn’t use it if was forced upon me. My next iPhone will be the new SE even though they made it a little larger.

I can understand preferring TouchID over FaceID (personally I would like both, but prefers face over touch), and I can understand not wanting to use a poorly implemented facial recognition system that may not treat your data securely, but I don’t understand the aversion to using FaceID on any grounds other than preferring to use touch. The data never leaves the device, in fact it never even leaves the secure enclave and cannot be accessed by any other part of the system. Even if it were leaked, it’s almost certainly useless to any other system out there.

1 Like

Bingo! I have an great dedicated workspace at home, with my MBP docked to multiple external displays, a comfy chair, and a quiet environment. But, sometime I just want to do some work on the living room sofa, and if it’s doable on the iPad, picking it up and getting started feels more more frictionless than trying to be my Air up and into a ready state.

This trackpad will make the iPad somewhat more usable for general work, and it’ll make code editing much less frustrating.

1 Like

I have been using the new keyboard with Jump Desktop, and it is fantastic. It feels like using a laptop. There’s no going back once you try it, and compared to touch it is much less frustrating.

I read this as you writing a whole research paper – multiple chapters! – about the keyboard. I was all, “Wait, what?”

3 Likes

Underpromise and overdeliver: I ordered the keyboard last week with a two-week delivery time. This morning when I woke up there were 8 days to go.

But while I was changing the dog’s water and making coffee and such, I got a notification on my phone. The keyboard is due by tomorrow. That means maybe even today!

Probably not today. Probably tomorrow. But still!

1 Like

Haha, now I read it back I see what you mean. I don’t think an article like that would pass a peer review process :wink:

2 Likes

Quit bragging! I ordered mine an hour after launch and it’s still April 30 - May 7. Apple basically took mine and gave it to you.

Imma write Tim a letter :rage:

1 Like

lol you can’t have it!

The Apple Store says it arrives tomorrow. I’m still holding out hope for today.

1 Like

When you open the Magic Keyboard, are you putting any stress on the frame of iPad itself?

No it’s very sturdy and there is no pressure on the device.

The keyboard also feels solid and durable, like it will last a long time.

2 Likes

I hope underpromise and overdeliver holds true for me as well. I ordered yesterday (I wanted to wait until I saw some hands-on reviews), and it’s showing a delivery window of May 14-21.

1 Like