iPhone SE announced, iPad Magic Keyboard ready to order

For all iPad aficionados out there: the Magic Keyboard can now be ordered. Ships next Monday to Wednesday. Educational discount is also available for it. Really excited to test it out.

Oh, and there’s a new iPhone SE :wink:

5 Likes

Educational discount is also available for it.

Nice. I had ordered from the main store—you just saved me ~$40!

Delivers to Canada April 30-May 7, and shipping hadn’t slipped in the first hour.

3 Likes

I was really expecting the Magic Keyboard at the end of May, so this is great news!

But I’m really bummed that the new iPhone SE has Touch ID. I guess it’s a cost-savings feature, but very few of my clients can use that. This model would have been the perfect upgrade for so many of them, but now I can only recommend it with reservations.

I don’t think Apple knows what a failure Touch ID is for older people and women. (Or worse, they know and don’t care.) Not using it means no contactless payment — a huge downside in our COVID-19 environment.

I’d love to read more or hear more about this; I admit this statistic has totally missed me so I’ve recommended Touch ID phones to women and elderly many times, hopefully not entirely to their detriment.

I believe that, in general, each system has it’s advantages and disadvantages, e.g. gloves or wet hands prevent TouchID from working correctly, direct sunlight on the sensor or face masks prevent FaceID from recognizing faces. However, I’d be interested to hear what exactly you perceive as a problem for elderly people and women?

1 Like

I would never have guessed that there would be an educational discount on the keyboard! Thanks!!

3 Likes

My 76 year old father’s fingers and thumb have skin that became hard… and they are not generating new skin and as such, he has difficulty to register TouchID. FaceID would work better for him.

Interesting discussion. On Gruber’s podcast, he makes precisely the opposite point – older users prefer touch ID to face ID. Sounds like Gruber is incorrect on this one.

I bought the Magic Keyboard. Yes, it’s INSANELY RIDICULOUSLY STUPID EXPENSIVE for a keyboard+ Trackpad. But I use the iPad for a couple of hours every day, and now when I want to use it with a keyboard and pointing device, I have to position and turn on the keyboard, put the iPad on its stand, and put the mouse down. And those are a few items to juggle if I take the iPad into another room.

With the Magic Keyboard it’s all one thing. And it looks Apple-pretty!

2 Likes

Definitely looks like an awesome keyboard. Are you able to use the iPad in portrait mode?

1 Like

Don’t know. Haven’t received the Magic Keyboard yet. It’s due to arrive in

[checks Deliveries app]

13 days.

My Magic Keyboard is due on Monday, according to UPS. Looking forward to seeing it.

Oh, sorry for the misreading. I guess I’m a bit eager to know if the iPad is able to attach in portrait mode :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I can’t imagine it would work in portrait—it doesn’t use Bluetooth. Or do you mean can the case fold so that you can use the iPad without disconnecting it?

Then again, how does it connect…? I actually don’t see Smart Connector listed anywhere, and it obviously doesn’t connect via the magnetic strip on the side of the iPad Pro. Hrm.

I also don’t see how the Pencil attaches while the case is attached.

1 Like

Just some wishful thinking, I guess.

I really (really) enjoy writing in portrait mode, and was hoping that there would be some way to connect or simply hold the iPad.

2 Likes

The iPad Magic Keyboard connects via the smart connector on the back of the iPad (just like how the iPad Smart Keyboard Folio connects). This allows it to pass through power to the the USB-C port on the case and allow for charging without using the existing USB-C port.

The Pencil connects to the iPad just like it normally does. Due to the way the case is designed, the side of the iPad is unprotected, leaving it open to receive the Pencil. When the keyboard is in use, the Pencil would be on the top edge of the iPad. When the keyboard is closed, the Pencil would be on the right side (opposite the hinge).

1 Like

D’oh. I forgot they moved the Smart Connector to the back, and got it mixed up with the Pencil charging strip. Of course!

So yes, I would be very surprised if it the Magic Keyboard could be used in portrait mode.

1 Like

The earliest recipients are starting to show the Magic Keyboard off:

Edit: I found this Reddit thread insightful, too:

3 Likes

Just received my Magic Keyboard, and I couldn’t be happier. It looks professional, and the build is solid. This will make me use the iPad much more for writing and allow me to enjoy writing on the device much more (I never enjoyed typing for a long time on the folio).

I intend on using is as a dock to charge and use at my desk, or for writing when traveling. I’ll be keeping the old folio keyboard for when on the sofa and reading because I want the keyboard folded back at those times, and still need a keyboard handy just in case I need to write something quickly like an email.

The keys feel excellent, just like the 16" MacBook, and the track pad is usual Apple quality (with a satisfying “click”). The downside is the weight, which is much more than the folio, but it still beats carrying around my 16”.

5 Likes

Got mine as well and I’m delighted. It’s everything I was hoping for: the keyboard feels great, the magnets are strong and using iPadOS with a trackpad is miles better than I thought. I’m in love. I had been toying with buying a MacBook Air at some point because I have a butterfly keyboard on my MBP but there’s no reason now. Will let by MBP run its course until I really need an upgrade in 2-3 years.

1 Like