Is M1 worth it?

I got my M1 air a few days ago, thinking it could be the mobile side of the i7 Mac mini I have on my desktop, but its completely replaced it, being faster in almost every way!

using a laptop as a desktop is a pain, so now I really cannot wait until the new iMac come out!

Why you dont try out external screens with a dock maybe? My laptop is always a desktop computer when Im home

It might even be a better proposition than before in clamshell mode since they are so much cooler in operation.

I have a Dell U27 and a OWC dock, but I think ill preorder myself one of the new OWC Thunderbolt hub https://www.owcdigital.com/products/thunderbolt-hub

1 Like

I never never use the clamshell mode in order to keep my mac cool. I leave it open and even use my mbp Screen as a third display.

With the M1: keeping it cool is not an issue. While Intel Macs in clamshell mode could be used to keep your coffee mug warm, it’s insane how cool the new ones are.

3 Likes

We will see in the long term whether the M1 will really meet cooling expectations. However if keeping cool is not an issue, why doees the m1pro has fans? ;-))

NEevertheless I would use my m1 in a laptop mode as well during the connection to a dock: the more dispalys the nicer my worklfow :))

The fans are there for sustained heavy processing. Only once I managed to get the M1 hot and the fans blowing at full speed with a huge photography processing batch job.

“Normal” usage (I even tested two games): doesn’t get hot, barely warm. The Intel MBP was way hotter with similar usage.

1 Like