Is Monterey currently ready for production machines?

Focus mode would be nice.
How much can Monterey change in the four days until release?
Is it reliable for you?

On this week’s Upgrade Jason Snell said that aside from Shortcuts, he’s found Monterey very stable.

4 Likes

Totally depends on your workflow and applications. Check around on the sites of your key tools to see what they say for Monterey.

2 Likes

It’s been reliable for me since the early betas.

3 Likes

I’d echo that apart from Shortcuts it’s been very stable for me. There’s one or two apps that are not quite Monterey ready, but those are outliers and not critical for my workflow. But, as @ismh say it all depends on your workflow and applications/

2 Likes

Thanks all!

I installed on my laptop, and in initial testing, so far so good.
Even matlab (aka. get off my lawn) is working.

I do love the purple color palette they’re using.
And the focus modes.

2 Likes

There are some really frustrating memory leaks with Monterey that I am experiencing on both of my new M1 max machines. So I definitely wouldn’t upgrade until at least 12.1 comes out. I wouldn’t be using it so quickly if it wasn’t preinstalled.

I work for a multinational company and we use Monterey as production machines. I believe it is safe. As for the memory leaks, I faced similar issues and later found out that it was a bug with the mouse pointer size and color. Changing it back to default alleviate the memory leak and I have not faced it for the past one month.

2 Likes

Just wanted to add a +1 for what @Topre said:

Same thing happened with my MBP running Monterey.

1 Like

I am having no end of issues with my 2017 iMac with it freezing since I upgraded.I run off an external SSD

2 Likes

M1 Air for Web Development, running a YouTube Channel, and general computing. Outside of Shortcuts it’s been totally fine.

1 Like

My mouse settings have always been default. This has been proven to only be one possible solution.

1 Like

Was that on an m1 pro/max?

No, I have a regular M1. Presumably a workaround would work on either but I could be wrong.

1 Like