Is OLED worth £200 (iPhone 11 vs 11 Pro)

I definitely need to retire my iPhone 7. Now the question is 11 or 11 Pro.

I’m not a pro photography nor do I use a lot o video. BUT I love the latest and greatest tech.

The only aspect of the 11 Pro that I fancy is the OLED screen. Everything else sounds like I could go with the 11 (and increase its storage to 128 as opposed to the 64Gb I would select on the 11 Pro).

Am I missing anything in here?

Note: this would be a phone for the next 3 years…

Thanks!

I can’t tell the difference between OLED and LCD on a phone. They say that the OLED has deeper blacks (true), but for all practical purposes (for me; I don’t want movies on my phone) it makes no difference and I wouldn’t pay anything extra just for OLED. Others swear it’s much better though, so take what I’m saying with a grain of salt :slight_smile:

When I shopped for my iPhone last year I actually preferred the LCD screen which was brighter. But I bought the XS Max not for the OLED but for (a) the higher pixel density (the iPhone 10 offered less screen real estate than my 6s Plus) and (b) the better camera. That would be my recommendation today as well: if you don’t want the cutting edge camera, and you’re okay with a big, less-pixel-dense screen you’ll be delighted with the iPhone 11 and its LCD.

My eyes are getting older. One day I will not be able to appreciate OLED, so I say go for an OLED. I did that with the Xs and I love apps that let me have black theme, instead of dark. I think iOS 13 Dark Mode will be really nice.

I am not sure if that is actually the case, but I believe iPhone Xr does not support 3D Touch. Not sure if that’s also the case iPhone 11.

3D Touch is gone, baby, gone on all new iDavices. They are all long-press ‘Haptic Touch’ (which is also in the Xr).

1 Like

Interesting, thanks for sharing.

Thanks everyone. Though I want the latest and greatest, I think I’ll save that money and go with the iPhone11 128Gb. Will invest the savings on a new iPad (if one is released :rofl: )

1 Like

I do like 3D touch. Wasn’t very happy last year with that one, but think I’ll survive. :grinning:

Part of my decision in getting the XR last year was that I find OLED screens cause eye strain for me, and I’ve never had problems with LCD displays. It’s best to go to store and do and side by side comparison, if you can.

2 Likes

OLED has better contrast and black. It also has slimmer bezels.

LCDs from Apple are very good and unless you have the OLED display right next to it, you are not able to see a difference (unless you have great eyes and/or are a nerd :slight_smile: )

1 Like

My wife has a XS Max with OLED and I have a XR with LCD. To me the difference is barely noticeable. I don’t think it’s worth the price difference.

2 Likes

I don’t think it’s worth it, I’m on an 11 Pro and still see problems when scrolling text. I’d be happy with an 11 if it had that the tele lens.