Is Overcast broken?

So I am frustrated with the podcast episodes still being displayed on in my queue despite me selecting that they are removed after listening.

The used to be removed. :man_shrugging:t5:

Is anyone else suffering with this issue? Itā€™s super annoying and of course there are no answers anywhere.

I havenā€™t seen this problem in overcast myself but the best thing to do would be to hit Send Feedback in the appā€™s settings if youā€™re having problems. The second best thing would be to ping Marco on Twitter via @overcastfm.

1 Like

Just checked and my Overcast install seems fine on all devices. All episodes deleted after completion. Maybe you can do an uninstall - reboot - install and see if that fixes it? If not; Iā€™d send Marco a request for help, thatā€™ll probably fix it soon enough

1 Like

Have you tried flipping tabs between ā€œUnplayedā€ and ā€œAllā€ a time or two to see if that sheds the spurious episodes?

Lately I am having similar problems where it keeps playing a previous podcast despite starting a new one.
The other problem is that Overcast is having a hard time switching to different BT speakers.

1 Like

All regular here. Iā€™d try @JKoopmans ā€˜s advice (maybe a simple reboot before uninstalling and reinstalling)

I thought this was going to be about the UI issues ā€“ the same pane sliding over twice, buttons to play or view info about an episode not appearing right away, etc. I love the features but something is wrong under the hood.

1 Like

Listening to Marco on the last couple of episodes of ATP, heā€™s gearing up to do an app rebuild using SwiftUI, but this wonā€™t be out until winter 2021 at the earliest. However, I can see in TestFlight that heā€™s begun to address some nagging bugs with some regularity (two builds in the last few weeks), so it sounds like help is on the way. Iā€™m not experiencing any of the bugs listed here other than a sluggish Apple Watch app, so I guess Iā€™m luckyā€¦

1 Like

Iā€™ve done both and until you guys taking with me about it it has fallen on death ears. :weary:

Iā€™ve reinstalled recently and it didnā€™t fix it sadly.

Yes, but no effect sadly.

Does it happen for all podcasts, or only for some?

If only for some: can you check the per podcast setting for ā€œdelete episodeā€?
That could be set to ā€œmanuallyā€ or ā€œ24 Hours after completionā€, though the latter should then delete them after one day so that seems unlikely.

Or happens for all podcasts :smirk:

Does the 24 hours after completion option work?

What does the per podcast setting for deletion say? Is that perhaps set to ā€œManualā€ somehow?

No. Iā€™ve checked that too

wow, thatā€™s no fun!
I think then your best bet is to get in touch with Marco.

Tried that many times. No response :weary:

Still struggling with this.

Thinking of trying out a different podcast player instead at this point.

I have recently switched to Pocket Casts and ditched Overcast with no regrets. Marco Arment is an opinionated developer, and I respect that, but he should take care to be reactive to his support requests and interactions with his customers, which he is really not compared to many other indie houses.

6 Likes

Thank you for that and Iā€™m glad that you specifically mention pocket casts as Iā€™ve been very interested to have a look at that. One of the main reasons is because there is Sonos integration (which there isnā€™t for overcast) and I would love to be able to push it around my house with less hassle than I do now.

So you recommend pocket casts by the sounds of it?