Is ScanSnap still the go?

Or is there a better alternative?

My trusty old S510M is playing up, I think one of the rubber rollers has decayed to sticky putty and it is crumpling sheets. I was wondering whether the ScanSnap is still the best option for a home document scanner or whether there are any newer kids on the block. I have had issues with Fujitsu’s poor relationship with Mac customers, slow updating and eventual dropping of support for older models so would be not averse to a different solution.

2 Likes

I haven’t learned of a better one to be honest. I used for a while an Epson document scanner and the software was far, far worse. I’m still happy with my ix 500 but I would indeed like Fujitsu to get its act together.

3 Likes

Re “dropping support for older models” … turns out it was just a delay in providing the proper 64-bit software for older models. You can get this updated Scan Snap software from Fujitsu’s web site. Search this forum for much discussion and URLs.

3 Likes

Was it a delay or just getting their act together after backlash from users? Fujitsu’s communication surely made it seem like it was the latter; older models seemed dropped for good when Catalina shipped.

1 Like

Who knows and how will we ever know. I don’t plan on dwelling on that. I bought a Brother scanner as I thought both my Fujitsu scanners were bricked … so much for my forecasting ability.

1 Like

I have a ScanSnap S1300i connected by USB to my M1 mini (Big Sur). I use the ScanSnap Home software and this is working fine for me.

3 Likes

Thanks for comments, ordered an ix1500

2 Likes