Is the M1 Pro 16inch MBP being updated soon?

I’ve been reading a bit about new M2 chips arriving soon and unclear if they will be included in a model which will be taking the place of the M1 Pro 16inch MBP we are expecting in a couple of weeks. Would someone clarify if M2s performance will be superior to the M1 Pro chipset?
Thank you

I am far from an expert, but I’m reading that the M2 will outperform the M1 but not M1 Pro and M1 Max. People (rumor sites) are expecting even the Mac Pro to be based on the M1 with even more cores assembled together than the Pro and Max. I’m sure someone with actual expertise will better clarify.

Just going out on a limb here, but I’ll bet the M2 will be followed by something akin to a Pro and Max version. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

No one knows for sure the update cycle on the Macbook Pros now that they’ve moved to Apple Silicon, but given that the 16" was updated in October, I’d expect they would be updated every 12-18 months. So that would suggest they won’t be updated soon. (In fact the current speculation is that the next Macs be released - 27" iMac, higher-end Mac Mini) - will probably be M1 Pro or M1 Max.

1 Like