Is the Phone app in your dock?

David said in the podcast that he was curious as to how many listeners have the phone app in their dock, do you?

• Yes, the phone app is in my dock
  • No

0 voters

1 Like

I hear a lot of people say they never talk on the phone, but for work Iā€™m on the phone all day long. Thereā€™s lots of time the phone is just better than a text, chat message, or email.

2 Likes

I canā€˜t make my mind up! It changes at least once a week.

2 Likes

Same here. Iā€™m in sales so communication is my job. So after trying many different iterations of my dockā€¦Iā€™ve gone back to an ā€œAll Communicationā€ dock on my phone. Phone/Email/Messages/Slack in the dock.

Iā€™ve even hidden it in my ā€œļ£æā€-folder. If I need to make a call 50% of the time I tap the number in an email or on a website or I swipe to the Siri screen and search for ā€œphā€¦ā€. šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚

2 Likes

I use 4 folders in the Dock, each having its own ā€œspecialtyā€, and the apps in them are sorted according to use frequency.

First, there is the Communications folder which contains

• Phone
  • FaceTime
  • Spark
  • e-boks (an app for receiving letters and so on from all government institutions in DK)
  • Contacts

Then there is the Online folder

• Safari
  • Instagram
  • Twitter
  • Facebook
  • SnapChat
  • Tumblr
  • Files
  • Dropbox
  • OneDrive
  • Mega Drive

The 3rd folder is called Sound

• iTunes Store
  • Apple Music
  • Overcast
  • YouTube
  • Shazam
  • Music Memos
  • Mood Listener
  • DR Radio
  • SoundCloud

The final folder is called Video/Books

• Videos
  • DR TV
  • Bluefire Reader
  • Audible
  • Books
  • Saxo Reader
  • ļ£ætv Remote
3 Likes

My dock is phone, Apple mail, Safari, and 1Password.

1 Like

Half the time I need to place a call, I have to hunt for the app because itā€™s stashed in a folder and I always forget where it is. I make a lot of calls direct from Contacts.

1 Like

Surprised to see nearly a 50-50 split here. I would have thought almost nobody put their phone in the dock, particularly in this crowd.

Itā€™s not that I donā€™t make phone calls. I make a lot of phone calls. But if they are outgoing calls I am generally dialing from Favorites or from a number entered into my calendar. Either way: One tap, not tapping numbers manually.

1 Like

Funny, my honest reaction to reading the subject line to this thread was ā€œwhatā€™s the phone app?ā€ I thought maybe there was a settings type app.

I have Drafts, Due, Omnifocus, and Streaks in my doc. The phone app is close by but not critical. But honestly, I donā€™t think it matters what I have in my doc since I only have one screen on my phone.

2 Likes

One screen on your phone? Do you use folders?

Absolutely! My rule of thumb is, if the thread gets more than 3 conversations long, I pick up the phone or I go and personally speak to someone. That is much faster and more effective than constant back-and-forth emails.

Mine is in my dock.
Since Iā€™ve started using spotlight more in the last month or so, I seldom make calls from the phone app anymore. Just drag down, type the first couple letter of the name, and tap what method of communication I want to use (text or call). Because of this, Iā€™ll likely move the phone app out of the dock and put a more commonly used app in its place.

1 Like

I have two folders. One that houses almost everything and another that has a few health apps. Although I have a lot of apps, I hardly use them. As I look at it, there are 16 apps I use frequently. Everything else is sporadic so doing a search for them suffices.

I also make use of the widget screen and the Launcher app so I do get a few more apps on that screen.

2 Likes

It was until today. Finally moved it out.

I wish it was possible to attach an age of the respondent to the vote in the poll, because although David and I are about the same age and while he doesnā€™t put it in the Dock and I do, I think the breakdown between the two positions might have an age component.

I thought about moving it out of my dock but I canā€™t bring my self to do itā€¦yet.

Since itā€™s so easy to search for an app regardless of itā€™s position on the screen or in a folder, I donā€™t really think of the dock as ā€œprime real estateā€ the way I did in the past. Also, with the exception of the upper left corner, I can reach most all the apps on the home screen of my iPhone X with my thumb. Anyway, I probably use less than a screenful of apps on a regular basis.

Phoneā€™s been moved from the dock to the upper left corner of the first screen for years now and these are what I have currently in my dock:

Mail
Pocket Casts

Iā€™m not actually sure why I have Messages there as itā€™s only the third or fourth most common way for me to receive messages. WhatsApp and Facebook Messenger are the main ones, then followed by Skype and iMessage/SMS. Pocket Casts also alternates with Overcast occasionally, but currently Pocket Casts is there as I have also an Android phone on a second line and Pocket Casts works and syncs also there, so itā€™s now there even though for iOS only use Iā€™d most likely go with Overcast.

EDIT: Iā€™m even less sure about why Iā€™m not just putting a Messaging folder in my dock like Iā€™ve done on my Android. This is especially after reading @Tonny_Bukdahlā€™s post.

Not even on my first homescreen. I never want to talk on the phone.