Is there a good app that offers a better YouTube experience?

I am looking for a YouTube client that will give me the Apollo for reddit experience, any suggestions?

Thanks

My understanding is that Youtube’s APIs make this kind of impossible these days. I believe (but someone check me on it) that it’s because of the way that they want to:

1. Serve dynamic advertising
  2. Ensure the algorithm and tracking is working at its full potential to keep you engaged
1 Like

Depending on how you use Youtube, their might be. Admittedly channel subscription is only a narrow slice of the Youtube experience, but when I started using RSS to subscribe to channels in my feed reader of choice and stopped visiting Youtube.com/app all together, my experience was 10x better.

Of course, channel subscription is the only slice of Youtube I care about, and I may be in the minority.

Some Safari extensions make it less awful. Baking Soda and Vinegar are the ones I use. Most of they help a bit.

1 Like

I have tried using RSS to subscribe and it works fine as a means to notify my of new videos being available. Except that to watch a video I still need to visit the page for the specific video. Ideally, I could just watch the video in my RSS reader without visiting youtube.com at all. Maybe some readers do this? After all I tried this with NewNewsWire which never loads the linked content but only the RSS content for any item.

I know there are save-for-later apps which can download videos, but I don’t want to watch it later, I want to watch it right now and then move on to the next item in my feed.

Ah yes, I suppose functionality for this must depend on your preferred feed reader. I use Reeder, and this is what I get:

I forget where I saw this trick: find a video you want to watch and replace “youtube” in the url with “yout-ube” (I use Keyboard Maestro for this.) viola!