Is there a way to display the full path of a folder in the Finder Dock menu?

Hey guys! I am new to this forum. Love it!

As a developer, it regularly happens to me that I need access to certain folders I have already opened in the finder. However, as soon as folders with the same name but in other locations are opened, there is no way to differentiate between them other than click on both of them. This is a very tedious task and I wonder if there is a possibility to show the full path or get more guidance?

Anyone who could help me out here or have other valuable tips for managing this problem?

As you can see in this example, the folder “assets” is displayed twice but I can not figure out which assets folder belongs to which path.

Paste these two lines into Terminal.app

defaults write com.apple.finder _FXShowPosixPathInTitle -bool YES

killall Finder

(Make sure you aren’t doing anything in Finder at the time like a long copy / move process because it will be terminated.)

7 Likes

Thank you so much!

It works. I just figured out a problem which is that I have fairly long paths which require even more effort to read and figure it out… I would love to have a way to just show it on hovering or show the last folder in which the current folder is located…

Any ideas on how this could work or if it is even possible?

I’m not aware of any way to truncate it. It’s either on or off.

1 Like

not sure this addresses the issue but symlink may be one way to get around it. Please see this post

1 Like