Is there a way to make Recents work better, i.e. be more comprehensive?

Things like screen shots show up faithfully, but files saved by most of the apps I use don’t. Is there a way to make this work better?

Also noting one cannot drag a file from Recents when it is in the Dock :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

Great question! Following.

I’ve always had a problem with finding recent files on my Mac with all the cryptic names and whatnot. I also can never find any app that fills this space succinctly for me.

1 Like

May or may not be solution but I like Trickster.

1 Like

I have very mixed results with Trickster. Sometimes it works perfectly, then for weeks it will not work until I uninstall it and reinstall it.

(Yes, it works well for others. I get it.)

1 Like

Man. I hid Recents from my Finder so long ago I had to rack my brain about what you meant by “Recents”.

Perhaps Default Folder X would be of use?

Instant Recall

To help you quickly return to folders and files you’ve used recently, DFX remembers them for you. It even re-selects the last file you opened. With DFX, you’ll never forget where you put something.

I haven’t played with it much myself. But I had a colleague who used to rave about how easy it made getting to his recent working documents across different apps.

2 Likes

Yes, you’re right, DefaultFolder X does a great job of recents, and it can live in the menubar. Here’s the display there:

1 Like

To follow up, I bought Trickster, and it’s been working well for me.
Most of the time, recent files, folders, and apps appear in its list. I haven’t done anything to refine what appears and what doesn’t.

There are occasions when a file doesn’t appear, and I suspect it has to do with Apple’s shenanigans to make iCloud Documents, etc. seamless.