Is there a way to tell autocorrect you don't want it to correct *TO* an obscene word?

Dictating a message. “The printer has to fuss with it a bit.” iPhone helpfully corrects it to, “the printer has to f*** with it a bit.” I go back, delete the offending word, change it back to “fuss”.

Forget to look at it AGAIN before I hit “send,” and sure enough - as soon as I stopped dictation it reverted “fuss” to “f***”.

Now…I don’t make a habit of swearing when I’m texting people. And I’d really prefer that my iPhone not decide to swear on my behalf.

I know I can disable autocorrect entirely, but that’s not preferable.

Any way to tell it that I NEVER want it to autocorrect to a word that Siri itself would typically steer somebody away from?

This does not answer your question I know.

But, for what it is worth, I am unable to duplicate the problem on my Mac or iPhone. Dictation happily accepts fuss and makes no attempt to change it.

Me too. I get fuss. Which, honestly, makes me really sad :cry:

Perhaps you could try pronouncing the word a little differently?

As a New Zealander where we do vowels a little differently to everyone else (we call it IVS - “Irritable Vowel Syndrome”) I’ve learned to say some words differently. Not just for Siri but for people too.

As a marine animal - @webwalrus - who has learned to use computers, I understand why dictation would be worth it to you. It must be tricky typing with those big flippers. So, maybe it’s worth pronouncing the word a little differently.

3 Likes

Maybe the iPhone is your alter ego! I’m sorry, I couldn’t resist. :joy:

I feel your pain, I run into the same issue and it is frustrating. By God’s grace, I don’t swear and I certainly don’t want my devices leading me to send an inappropriate text or email.

As a work around, you can create a text replacement that will automatically replace Siri’s potty mouth with the word you had intended. This of course assumes that is the same word each time that Siri is misinterpreting (although any word is probably preferred over Siri’s cussin’)

This is one of the reasons why I have autocorrect turned off on my Macs. It does weird things, the results of autocorrect sometimes lead to texts that are way worse with autocorrection turned on compared to the typos I may or may not type myself. Sometimes, autocorrection does “correct” perfectly fine words in my language to “words” that don’t even exist.

When I am writing important stuff, it is being done on my Macs.

For those times, when stuff has to be done quickly using my iPhone or my iPad, I still use autocorrect and Siri, but I read every single word before I send anything anywhere.

It boggles my mind how terrible this stuff actually does work without seeing any improvement. I am hoping for this year’s WWDC and those LLM on device rumors that supposedly could have positive results, but I am not betting on them. There already have been so many announcements of how Siri, dictation and what not will get better in previous years…

1 Like

I thought the autocorrection works with your past history? So if you have used cuss words frequently, it will use those words in future autocorrections. So people who cuss won’t get “duck” anymore when they clearly wanted another word. Everyone’s auto correct will be different. (Of course I could be wrong on this, but it never tries to autocorrect my cuss words anymore.)

I believe it works at least partially on your history both incoming and outgoing. I’m not saying I’ve never sworn in a text message, but there are some words that seem to have found their way into my autocorrect based on what other people say to me.

In this case though, it typed what it thought I must have said, I manually went back and fixed it, and then it changed it back after I’d manually edited it. I’d like to think there’d be some sort of way to tell Siri to never autocorrect something TO an offensive word.

I don’t think there is a fix for that. It does that to me with regular words, or more often with acronyms where I include a lower case letter, and it drives me nuts sometimes. It’s one of those things where Apple goes over board and doesn’t give an option that is somewhere in the middle.

1 Like

FWIW, I just tried dictating “let’s fuss around” and it didn’t fuss with “fuss.”

1 Like