Is this a dumb idea?

Hey guys. I decided to try something different. And I don’t know if it’s dumb or not! Ha.

Take a look at this home screen. I started placing apps into folders where they are all the same color. The reason: I generally know what color icon I am looking for when I am trying to quickly get an app open on my phone. So, instead of placing them in groups of the same type, I just got them into color groups. This is day 1, so I will see how happy I feel after a good test. But what I now have is one screen, with a few folders. I put Photos and activity and a few other things in the home screen and not in a folder because I tend to use them often and I wanted a balanced screen! Anyway. It’s

important to experiment, right!

6 Likes

I think this is brilliant!

1 Like

If it works for you, it’s not a dumb idea.

Keen to hear feedback in a month’s time :grinning: :+1:

1 Like

IIRC CGPGrey used to arrange his homescreen by color. Not in folders but by keeping like colors together and then having kind of a “gradient” progression.

If it works for you, roll with it! I recently changed my homescreen to align with the Upgrade homescreen draft and I’m slowly getting used to it.

1 Like

If it works great! I’d like to see how it survives the real word for a while.

My own is positional and the most irritating thing about iOS is that it’s impossible to accurately position icons or leave space between them on any screen. I like positional groups with some open space between similar sets of apps and I can’t do it on myiOS devices. On my main mac I basically work in 3 column view all the time as that’s faster to navigate for me.

1 Like

So, now tat you are about 6 weeks into the color coding of the app folders, how has it gone? Really curious.

Good question.
The short answer: Not well :grinning:
Here is why. Having apps that I use fairly consistently buried in a folder ‘because they are blue,’ got old pretty quick. Having my main screen mostly consisting of folders added quite a few taps to most of my actions, even though I would quickly know what folder they were in.
Secondly, I think after a few days I also didnt like how it looked. Again, folders on the home screen dont look as pretty as putting some good app icons up there.
So, I tried a few variations over the month, but never quite stayed with it.
I have moved on to this though (see pics below).
For the iPhone, I have chosen 12 of the most common and good looking apps, and screen 2 has 11 more, plus a folder (That sticks with the color coding, for the most part. I.e. the icons in the folder are grouped in their colors).
So far I am liking it. The screen with just 12 apps (plus the docked ones) is nice and clean, and the stuff I dont use much is on one folder on screen 2.

Also, I am trying a new thing with my ipad layout. It only really works in portrait (which I use mostly for my work). But check that out. I am enjoying the idea of it (for now).