Is two 27 inch displays overkill?

I have driven once with my computer lenses (long day, inadvertently too tired to try to dig out my regular lenses, and only a short distance in daylight). The prescription should likely be designed to start at computer distance and go outward, not start from reading and end just at computer distance.

I always had to ask specifically for this prescription setting. And as I recall, I had to iterate one time when I first got them exactly because they were too close to reading lenses with some modification rather than computer lenses.

JJW

1 Like

@ash …That’s how I ended up buying a third 30" screens when I got my old 2008 Mac Pro.

Then I had to go through many hoops, dual-DVI cables etc to keep them all going on the 2013 Mac Pro…When I replaced the MacPro for a MacBook Pro 16" after 6 years I wasn’t able to connect it all anymore…

Soon figured out that I just can’t work on a laptop screen and 1 extra monitor. The 16" had difficulties driving three 4k displays however. It technically worked, but the fans were in overdrive all the time.

I then bought the M1 Mac Mini and an extra DisplayLink adapter and everything is cool and silent. The 16" has been sitting idle for months now

2 Likes

That’s interesting I hadn’t considered that I might have issues with fans going into overdrive with two 4K screens. I’m running a 15” MBP currently with a single cable into a CalDigit T3 Plus. I guess I’ll find out when the display arrives.

The 15" MBPs often kick on the discrete GPU when an external display is attached.

Unless you have thunderbolt display, which you can daisy chain, I would connect 1 display to either thunderbolt, i.e one to either side of the computer for best result.

Also test keeping the MBP screen as 3rd display rather than clamshell mode as the computer gets hotter that way. I ended up doing clamshell mode with the MBP in a vertical dock for better airflow and cooling

1 Like

Yeah both thunderbolt displays.

Try daisy chaining first. Then for comparison one connected to either side of the MBP. Both scenarios with open MBP and clamshell mode. Best play 4K video while testing

Thanks! Great stuff!

I have the exact setup here: two of these LG 4K monitors. I like the setup, though sometimes I think I’d have been fine with one.

I had a 15” MBP 2015 (i7, but with the Inte GPU) and I was constantly maxing out the VRAM (according to iStat Menus) and it was very slow. Watching videos or using Zoom with both displays connected was causing sever display lag and it would sometimes be unusable to screen share on Zoom with both monitors connected unless I quit everything else. I saw some comments about daisy chaining, not sure about how that would affect it. I used 2x Mini Display Port → Display Port cords.

I was holding out for new MBPs at WWDC and got a M1 Mini when they didn’t announce them and I am very happy now.

the M1 Mini is a marvel. Still amazed how I got 3 screens connected to it and I have yet to hear the fan, and I am pushing it hard every day… Unfortunately I cannot use the Thunderbolt HDR but that is a small trade-off for working on three screens:
1 on Thunderbolt
1 on HDMI
1 on DisplayLink USB via the Caldigit TS3+

The LG Thunderbolt displays are great. Good performance and thin bezels. Ideal in a 3 screen setup. (sometimes 4 screen with sidecar on the iPad to add touch and signing stuff to the mix)

Not often, always. When an external display is attached to a MacBook with a discrete GPU, it uses it the dGPU.

Having two monitors i great, but it is a bit overkill. With spaces, it is completely possible to manage with one for a lot of tasks. At home, my mac has two screens, and in the office my work PC has one. When I am (was) at the office I miss(ed) having spaces much more than than having two screens.

1 Like

I also do Frontend dev and a bit design, and personally think even a single screen >24" to be overkill. My current setup is 24" 2k, mirrored display and macbook’s brightness all the way down.

Tried 27" 4k, curved 32" 4k, and feel overwhelmed by the size. Completely personal taste.

I think you will enjoy two 27" setup if you ever feels like writing code while inspecting the design in maximized screen. Or if you want to attend video call meeting while still working on your tasks.

Bonus, screenshot of my desktop right now

If I had to choose between Spaces and multiple displays, I would choose Spaces every single time. I think that Apple’s implementation of virtual desktops with Spaces + Mission Control (+ trackpad multi-touch gestures) is probably the single most compelling feature of the platform.

2 Likes

Most of my work can be done with one 27 in monitor. I feel positively decadent having two 27 inch montiors. But, it is nice to be able to throw extraneous windows on the second monitor. I also have a small windows machine, which shares the second monitor. Sometimes it is nice to have both machines running on separate monitors.

I did the same thing about a year ago. I used to have dual 27" monitors, but was starting to get frequent neck pain - so I got rid of one.

I do still miss having a second monitor from time to time, but the better ergonomics win out for me.

I could have centered one monitor and used the other as an accessory monitor to the side, but I couldn’t get the placement right.

1 Like